JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Day 12 of 90-There's no such thing as a good excuse

Karen

Debbie says if you truly want to eat healthier, you have no business having food around that doesn't fit your lifestyle.Other lies we tell ourselves are:
-I can handle it.
-It's rude if I don't have any.
-I have to have it around for my husband, kids, etc. etc.

We don't have to subject ourselves to watching others eat high calorie desserts, she says. She suggests getting up and leaving the table or just getting away from it. Sometimes, you just cannot do that. But, I think it is a good idea when you can. Some of the times when I have really felt deprived, it was because I was somewhere and others were eating, say carrot cake on a birthday at work (for real), and going mmmm this is sooooo good. I should have just gotten up, wished the birthday girl a happy one, and excused myself on the premise of work that has to get finished (not a lie).

She suggests going to the bathroom when dessert is served, or somewhere else other than the table. On a cruise last year, there was a couple that cruises back to back to back. Which means they stay on the same ship for three weeks in a row. They were both trim and thin. I wondered how. Every night, except for one, they excused themselves from the table before dessert. I find myself wondering now if it was so they wouldn't be subjected to watching everyone else eat the gourmet desserts...it's possible.

Also, you don't have to keep a perpetual sweet shop for family members. Chances are good that they may not need to eat it either, and chances are good that they will find sweets elsewhere if they are not at home, and you don't have to be tempted that way.

Note: I am taking my book with me. I will read my passage each day, and hope everyone here is doing well. See you all on December 21. I may check in once or twice during this period, but that's it! Hugs and take care.

Brenda Replied:

This one hits the nail on the head for me. I've used all those excuses and more...like I deserve this! NOT I've had success with turning away birthday cake if it's a homemade mix and canned frosting type. How special is that? Not very. I've eaten cake like that many times. I know what it tastes like, I don't need it. Now a bakery cake or a special made from scratch cake that doesn't come around that often, well...I just have to have a taste. But I'm getting good at asking for a half a piece, please. Have a wonderful trip.

Mags Replied:

This is so true. When I have lunch or dinner with my Grandma, they always have desserts; homemade pies, cookies, cakes, etc. And, for Grandma, that's her favorite part of the meal -- trouble is she feels bad if you don't order a dessert too... so in the past I've given in to the temptation.

Now, I've decided on a plan. I can't go to the bathroom and leave her there... but, I've discovered that, although it's usually not listed off with the other desserts, they almost always have sugar free jello. So, now that's my dessert of choice.

I think the bathroom idea is a good plan, but sometimes you have to have a back up one. Here's hoping everyone successfully finds the bathroom, or a back up plan to get through the holidays!

Cindy H. Replied:

I like the analogy that we wouldn't think of putting our hand on a hot stove and yet we often put our health in danger by eating crap. I want to keep that image in my mind next time I'm tempted!

Shari (CE) Replied:

A while back I went to a Leadership program in a large Hotel and they had a very impressive desert table set up in the hall. I could smell the chocolate. I did find my way to the restroom and while I was there I took a good look at myself in the mirror and I told myself that I am happy with how I look and that saved the day.
I do a good job keeping my food triggers out of the house =]

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.