JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Getting the right support

Last night my son was pushing food at me...I got in his face and asked him why he was doing that since I needed him to help me lose weight. He said he was testing my motivation to see if I was really serious. I told him I was motivated today and I am serious today, but I may not always be SO PLEASE DON"T TEST ME. Give Mom lots of hugs. He did give me a big hug. I don't know what is going on with him. He's 10 and it's just me and him. I guess this diet is a big deal to him too and he realizes its importance to my health. I need to share more of what I need and what he needs too.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

What a good point! I find that I have to remind my husband (and others) on a regular basis of what I need from them as support.

Sharon VA Replied:

Good for you for letting him know what you need and how you feel!

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

He may be trying to test how much power he has. Does he have the power to make Mom eat cookies and blow her diet? He surely has no ill intention - Kids are just facsinated with their own growing abilities and independence.

Show him how to cut up fruit for a fruit salad, and give him the power and ability to help you instead. Tell him you'll pay him a dollar each time he convinces you to go out for a walk when you weren't planning to. Soon, you'll have the best little buddy/advocate possible - and a very cheap personal trainer!

I offered my 14 yo son 50 BUCKS (!) if he could get me to the point where I could jog a mile without stopping. Now, he goes out with me twice a week and encourages me to jog just a little farther each time. It's awesome! (We're still several weeks away from a non-stop mile!)

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

Gretchen- I love that a great way to bond with your kids. My fondest memories from childhood were taking walks with my mom every night, a great way for us both to exercise and catch up and talk just the two of us.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.