JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Cleansers, Flax Seed, etc.

Has anyone used Flax Seed? or a cleansing pill/system to jump start their diet? or something to clean out your system every now and again? I was wondering if these products are worth the money, or if their are natural products or options out there; if they taste good; if they really work. I would love to hear any suggestions/comments/ideas I would like to use something else, rather than laxatives that I have used in the past, but read/and know it isn't the best for your body.
Thanks guys.

Diane Replied:

I grind flax in my coffee grinder and add to my smoothies. I also juice and leave the pulp in my vitamix so that adds alot of fiber naturally. I don't know about the other options.

Jilly Replied:

I add ground flaxseed to my oatmeal. I use it mainly for the Omegas. Not sure about the cleansing aspect. I don't really do any intentional cleansing... I just hope that by detoxing from the sugar & eating as much healthy veggies & fruits that I will "cleanse" my system by default.

I also use Chia. I sprinkle Chia or Flaxseed on Salads. I've put them (Chia) in yogurt as well.

I don't use laxatives... I just look for foods that are high in fiber. By increasing the fruit & veggies the fiber naturally increases helping to keep you full longer & clean you out. I tried laxatives when I was a teenager & the abdominal cramping & urgency to get to the bathroom turned me off. It was a painful & unpleasant experience.

Try increasing your water as well. Best wishes!

Cherylee Replied:

I use 2 T flax seed (ground) daily. One in my smoothie, one in my oatmeal. Research shows great benefits. Be sure it is ground, or they say it will not help.

Laura C. Replied:

I use it occasionally since I am doing low carb and need the extra fiber at times.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

I put flax seed in my yogurt. I have no idea if it is working, but it isn't hurting.

Lisa as Intended (CE) Replied:

I use flax seed all the time, it's great for fiber, however I mostly use it for the omega 3 benefits. If you are wanting a great cleanse that you can drink every morning for a high fiber colon cleanse without the fat calories, the best natural one I've found is using Psyllium Husks and cranberry juice. Avoid the coctail type cranberry juices bought at supermarkets; the juice I'm referring to here is the pure kind. I get mine at Whole Foods...it's an unsweetened organic concentrate. I add stevia to it to sweeten it up. Use 4 oz of cranberry juice with 4 oz of filtered water (or distilled if you are detoxing), and stevia if you like, stir, then last add a scoop (or upto 1/4cup) of psyllium husks (I use the whole husks rather than the powder), mix and drink. The psyllium will "gel" quickly, so I have found using a straw helps to slurp this down quicker. This has all other kinds of health benefits...especially for women and their urinary tract health.

Michelle Replied:

I sprinkle flax seed on my salad and grind it and add it to my morning smoothie. Not sure about it's cleansing effect.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

Thank you guys!

Cindy H. Replied:

I make a Muffin in a minute every morning for breakfast -- 1/4 cup of ground flax seed! I'm also taking a priobiotic -- and I think the combination has helped tremendously. (muffin in a minute recipe from atkins.com website)

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

I use flax seeds almost every day, on my hot or cold cereal. I grind them up in a mini coffee grinder. I use them more for the O 3s, but it does help digestion as well.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

I am taking all your ideas in like a sponge!...definitely have to add more fruits into my diet, I will buy the flax seed too..anything to help

Lou Replied:

Not sure if this will help anyone, but you can buy flaxseed meal (ground flaxseed). This is in Ontario, Canada.

Lisa as Intended (CE) Replied:

@Lois: I used the meal at first for ease and convenience, and then switched to the whole seeds and use a mini coffee grinder to fresh grind now (they have to be ground to get the full nutritional benefits), simply because once ground, such begins to lose nutritional value immediately with oxygenation, and it can go rancid much sooner so shelf life is shortened. Once I was in the habit of using flaxseed, it wasn't as overwhelming to go the extra step to fresh grind, but it definitely was a step-by-step process, as at first with many food and lifestyle changes shortcuts really helped until such became a set routine. Once I finished consuming my ground bag, I bought the whole seeds and grinder and so really didn't have an option since I was already "hooked", lol!

A very good suggestion, Lois, especially for those who may wish to try flax to discern if they like it or not before investing in a coffee grinder (less than $15 at Walmart).

Cindy H. Replied:

I buy my flax seed ground and then just keep it in the freezer in a tupperware container. It keeps longer -- but I go through my bag pretty quickly anyway.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

I also use the flaxseed muffen in a minute from the Atkins website, its really nice and a good substitute for morning toast.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.