JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Herb Keeper

Lisa as Intended (CE)

I just thought I'd share a fun find...

I love this nifty container for keeping herbs fresh! When the lid is lifted it raises a tray that the herbs "nest" in at the bottom. This keeps the stems or roots in water at the bottom, but it also has flexible tabs (where the green stripe is), that the tray can rest on while you remove herbs or snip pieces. I have dill in this one, but I think I discovered a new item to start collecting, so I can have my own herb "garden" in my refrigerator, lol! Cilantro...chives...basil...

Supposedly it keeps herbs fresh 3x longer. I found it at Sur la Table, and it was under $10.

User Photo

Amber Replied:

I still have to try your freeze tip with herbs, but this thing looks really cool! I am getting one! lol

Cindy H. Replied:

I want one ... although I started an herb garden on my porch. I'll have to take a picture of that. Bunnies (or someone) already snarfed my rosemary from my backyard.

Lisa as Intended (CE) Replied:

I wasn't sure where to post this...we need a cooking gadget board, haha! I love fun kitchen stuff...especially if it will keep my organic herbs from wilting before I can use them!

kc Replied:

Okay you guys, I already went to amazon earlier today to get an olive oil sprayer and now I need to go back and see what they have in the way of herb keepers. I am as bad with kitchen gadgets as I am with books! Cilantro and basil are wilting in my refrigerator and I am sure they would be happy if I got them an herb keeper.

I think being "addicted" to gadgets that encourage healthier eating and using them to make eating healthier easier, is soooo much better than being addicted to or using unbeneficial foods! That's my opinion.

I'm already asking for Sur la Table gift cards...I figure I need 4 more for my staple herbs, but then that would be an odd number, so one more as an extra for an occasional herb for a recipe that I usually don't have on hand. Uh-huh. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it!

OH, and in reference to what Amber mentioned...I posted in my blog that I saw on Dr. Oz that you can take fresh herbs and freeze them in water (like ice cubes), and then transfer them to baggies, seal-a-meals, etc., because you cannot just freeze herbs or they will turn black...the ice preserves them wonderfully!

Cindy H. Replied:

haha KC. I was amazed to find out that now I can dump my Pam. Although I've been pretty much using coconut oil anyway instead. It's kindof like how when you realize you can clean everything with white vinegar that you see how much we "buy into" all the products and gimmicks. There are lots of old fashioned ways to do stuff without buying someone's product. Except their spritzers and herb keepers of course!

Cindy H. Replied:

Lisa, how big is that? Could you get that many on your counter? I guess you could just put a pot on your counter with the fresh herbs growing right there too!

I was going to put them in my veggie refrigerator...but maybe I'm not supposed too, hahahah! Thanks Cindy! Does Whole Foods have them in a REFRIGERATOR?! DUH!

I have a huge kitchen counter, so yes, but I also think I could stack them. They are about 9" tall and 5" wide.

Guess they will go next to my avocado grow-ve! I'm going to have to start calling my kitchen a "hot house" or actually GET ONE!

kc Replied:

Hmmm, hothouse? Oh, amazon!

Oh, Costco! too. Been eyeing that one for awhile!

Cindy H. Replied:

Here's how I'm storing my herbs these days. So excited to have fresh cilantro around! Cinnamon basil, sweet basil and cilantro. I had a rosemary plant growing in a garden but the bunnies snatched it.

this is best!!! Until I have the time to do a garden, I'm having a counter garden, hee hee!

I'd go through that bunch of cilantro in a day!

Pinkdream Replied:

Awesome ideas!

Donna Replied:

Here in S. Tx Cilantro is in abundance. I've noticed it for .28 cents a bunch but I have yet to cook with it myself. Sounds like I need to do some more experimenting.

I love cilantro in homemade salsa! I use it in place of parsley in recipes....I like it so much better. I don't use it in green juicing however, as it seems to upset my stomach...have no idea why, so not sure if it is me or something extra cleansing about it...just a note

kc Replied:

Lisa, how about a cilantro recipe challenge? I have not used it and would enjoy seeing some favorite recipes by SYDsters and SYDthers.

@kc: That sounds like a fun challenge! I'm a bit involved in the cookbook recipe challenge at the moment...possibly when I get back from vacation, OR, you can start it, and I'd be glad to enter my favorite clean recipes that I make using it.

linda Replied:

neat

Colleen Replied:

Great container! I try to keep oregano, chives, basil and peppermint available and am always looking for new containers to do so--thanks

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.