JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

5 Nutrients You're Not Getting Enough Of

Janice

Think you've got this whole nutrition thing down by now? Think again.

Sure, you have an impressive résumé. Decades of experience with meal planning and eating. Oversaw the nutritional needs of children. Key adviser in limiting grandchildren's exposure to Dr. Pepper.

Problem is, the job is changing every year. The older you get, the less efficient your body is at absorbing and using the nutrients you eat, explains California-based dietitian Lori Zanini, R.D., C.D.E. So unless you're making a concerted effort to increase your intake of key nutrients, you're likely falling short.

In fact, a recent study from the University of North Carolina found that 60 percent of older adults (without cognitive impairment) who are admitted to emergency rooms are either malnourished or at risk of malnutrition.

"Getting adequate nutrition is vital to overall health, function, quality of life and, ultimately, longevity," explains Abby Sauer, M.P.H., R.D., a dietitian specializing in adult and geriatric nutrition.

Here are five nutrients that every older adult needs for better health -- and how to make sure you're getting enough of each.

Gwen Replied:

Good nutrients are so important, thanks for this Janice!

Sandy Replied:

Thanks. I am always interested in nutrition and how I can fuel myself.

kc Replied:

Rjaatt Replied:

1. Carbohydrates. Carbohydrates can be grouped into two categories: simple and complex. ...
2. Protein. Protein from food is broken down into amino acids by the digestive system. ...
3. Fat. The fat in food includes a mixture of saturated and unsaturated fat. ...
4. Vitamins. ...
5. Minerals. ...
6. Water. Drink Lots~! One z a hour. Helps break down Fat in the thighs and stomach.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.