JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

How do you feel about sugar?

Gwen

Honestly, some folk manage to have sugar in limited quantities and lose weight. How do you feel about sugar?

I know it is a personal thing, but I just wondered.

Lin Replied:

I an have to have almost none. But for me, the main thing I have to give up is carbs.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Well since you asked...

I honestly think it is the undoing of true wellness for most people, especially in the U.S. I just read a book called Sugar Blues by Dufty, and is a shocking account of sugar use and abuse in the world; not a light read at all. Personally, I am able to manage my carbs and sugars, but I have almost no refined sugar, and the sugar that I do have is clean-approved or lower glycemic. I highly recommend eliminating sugar from your wellness routine, especially if you tend to get out of control. Sugar-free happiness does not happen overnight, but it is blissful once established. Start with a baby step, and take it a day at a time.

Lyn Replied:

Sugar is evil.
Of course, it is not as simple as that but that is my overall view. LOL

jenny Replied:

My personal experience is that refined sugar is addictive, it is easier for me to give up alcohol than to give up refined sugar.

I know I have an addictive personality, I am all or nothing and while I have never been interested in any drugs I was the type of personality who couldn't leave a bottle of wine half full on the work top I would have to finish it that evening.

The same is true of refined sugar. I cannot eat one cookie it is always the packet, I cannot eat one square of chocolate it has to be the bar. So for me it's none or all I know that.

As far as carbs are concerned, rice, potatoes, bread or pasta I can easily not eat them I am ambivalent.

I allow myself friuit so fructose but not concentrated fructose in fruit juices or smoothies,

So my personal feelings are that like Lyn they are evil!

jenny Replied:

Sorry didn't mean Lyn is evil just agreeing with her opinion.

Lyn Replied:

haha I knew what you meant jenny! You crack me up.

Gwen Replied:

Sugar and I are enemies and the worst bit is, sugar poses as a friend, a good friend and it is a complete lie. Sugar is the worst thing I ever got hooked on in my opinion and it shows up everywhere. I avoid it like the plague.

Trina Replied:

When I was a kid, sugar was something you added to certain foods and was special. With the explosion of convenience foods we are unaware of all the foods that contain sugar and cane syrups. I feel like I've been poisened...as if I was involuntarily injected with drugs and now have to be in withdrawal for the rest of my life. Very sad. I try to keep all but 5g sugar out of my diet. I try to allow for good whole foods that may contain natural sugar, like berries or beets.

Gwen Replied:

It seems we all have strong feelings about sugar!

kc Replied:

Love the information Rjaatt! Thank you for sharing.

Gwen Replied:

Easter and sugar go hand in hand in Western society so we have a challenge ahead of us! How do we plan to keep the monster at bay?

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.