JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Can You Drink Too Much Water?

Rjaatt

In rare cases, drinking an extreme amount in a short time can be dangerous. It can cause the level of salt, or sodium, in your blood to drop too low. That's a condition called hyponatremia. How much would you have to drink? An enormous amount. Gallons and gallons of water. "These are very isolated cases, and this is extremely rare," says Sharon Bergquist, MD. She's an assistant professor of medicine at Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta. "More people by far and away are dehydrated, [rather] than having a problem with over-hydration."

If you drink a bottle of water here and there when you exercise or when you're hot, you'll be fine. Where you run into problems is drinking way too much too fast. I suggest sipping through out the day. A z glass could take up to 10min to 30min to drink.

Losing weight requires a consistent commitment to several lifestyle choices: Eat healthier, exercise more, get 6-8 hours of sleep a night, and drink lots of water for exercise recovery. White says sticking to the oft-recommended amount of eight 8-ounce glasses (64 ounces total) should suffice and can help boost weight loss for the average person or someone just looking to drop a few pounds.

The Surprising Link Between Dehydration and Obesity; people who took in too little water daily had 50 percent higher odds for obesity. "Those who were inadequately hydrated had higher body mass indexes (BMIs)." Recommendations vary, but the Institute of Medicine suggests or recommends that women consume a total of 91 ounces (that's about 2.7 liters), (11.25 cups) per day, from all food and beverages combined. Note: a cup is z. you can also find water-in foods such as apples, celery, cucumbers, plums, watermelon, cauliflower, eggplant, red cabbage, peppers and spinach. Broccoli is 91 percent water.
Hydrating Food: Cucumber.
Hydrating Food: Mixed Greens Salad.
Hydrating Food: Tomato Sauce.
Hydrating Food: Chicken Noodle Soup.
Hydrating Foods: Eggplant.
Hydrating Food: Applesauce.
Hydrating Food: Zucchini.
Hydrating Food: Cantaloupe.

Rjaatt Replied:

Most people are up for 14 to 16hours: Lets consider we are to drink 8 glasses of water that would be 1 every 2 hours if we were awake for 16 hrs. So drinking 12 cups a day would take `1hrs within your day and for me it was hard at first. I am not a water drinker but I have gotten use to it in the last 7 days, the first thing I do in the morning is go for the lemon water not the coffee or tea I have just about stopped that in 7 days, I didn't know the coffee was causing me to be so constipated and sluggish all day with a lack of motivation. when I drink tea i seem to think a lot maybe too much. But water I just have to go pee.

I drink water every hour on the hour now and just in case I have a back up glass of water so I am not too lazy to get out of my chair and walk into the kitchen to get another glass. Instead I have brought in 2 water jugs and a 1.59qt of water I sit next to my cup just in-case?

The thing I am noticing the most is the secretion from my thighs, they are soaking wet I guess its the water trying to push out the fat from my skin. I was able to get into a pair of old shorts so I am happy they fit around my thighs. Bottom heavy! Even my stomach has flatten a lot. I don't have that huge pillow tummy. Instead I can see my feet and I can put on my shoes and tie them. I even groomed my nails the other day. Normally I had to have my grandchild or daughter do this for me but now i can do it myself. The freedom from others having to do things for you because you can 't use your arms to do them yourself because your belly is too round.

So a lot of changes has happened in just the last 6 days! Walking and Drinking water! is the KEY to Losing Weight! I can finally admit this too myself!

Rjaatt Replied:

10 Reasons Why You Should Drink More Water
----------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Increases Energy & Relieves Fatigue
Since your brain is mostly water, drinking it helps you think, focus and concentrate better and be more alert. As an added bonus, your energy levels are also boosted!
2. Promotes Weight Loss
Removes by-products of fat, reduces eating intake (by filling up your tummy if consumed prior to meals), reduces hunger (hello natural appetite suppressant!), raises your metabolism and has zero calories!
3. Flushes Out Toxins
Gets rid of waste through sweat and urination which reduces the risk of kidney stones and UTI's (urinary tract infections).
4. Improves Skin Complexion
Moisturizes your skin, keeps it fresh, soft, glowing and smooth. Gets rid of wrinkles. It's the best anti-aging treatment around!
5. Maintains Regularity
Aids in digestion as water is essential to digest your food and prevents constipation.
6. Boosts Immune System
A water guzzler is less likely to get sick. And who wouldn't rather feel healthy the majority of the time? Drinking plenty of water helps fight against flu, cancer and other ailments like heart attacks.
7. Natural Headache Remedy
Helps relieve and prevent headaches (migraines & back pains too!) which are commonly caused by dehydration.
8. Prevents Cramps & Sprains
Proper hydration helps keep joints lubricated and muscles more elastic so joint pain is less likely.
9. Puts You In A Good Mood
When the body is functioning at its best, you will feel great and be happy!
10. Save Money!
Water is FREE! Even if you choose bottled/filtered water, it's STILL cheaper than that high sugar and fat-filled latte!

Cindy H. Replied:

I know I should drink more water!

Rjaatt Replied:

Cindy: Lets Drink Water Together NOW!

I have 2 -z glasses and a 4oz glass sitting on my table.

Let's Just drink a ( 4oz glass ) to start off with!... Ready, 1 sip at a time, in the next 20min.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.