JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Elaroo

Just starting out. On day two of keto diet. Any suggestions or advice would be great. Glad I found this site and glad to be part of it.

kc Replied:

Welcome! There are a lot of low carb, Ketoers here. Use the search spy glass to find posts. I just started making my morning coffee a "fat" coffee. Yummy!

Lyn Replied:

Welcome Elaroo! Glad to have you, you will love it here!

Elaroo Replied:

Thank you. And now the dumb question where is the search spy glass. I can't find a search anywhere lol.

Lyn Replied:

To the left of where it says Message Board. It isn't super noticeable!

Gwen Replied:

Hi Elaroo, welcome! I am on keto too so any questions and I and others can speak from our experience. All the best!

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Hi Elaroo, so glad you are here! All the best to you in your wellness journey!

kc Replied:

Great Keto site:

https://ketodietapp.com/

Join their challenge. You don't have to participate, but you get a wealth of information. They have a great macro calculator as everyone's macros are different according to your age, weight, and activity level. It is a very narrow road Keto site, so I balance it with Matt and Megha's site

https://www.ketoconnect.net/.

They are more relaxed and "make it work for you."

Cedric Replied:

DietDoctor has the best organization I've seen for keto recipes. Recipes are organized by meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks) then you see a picture of each meal WITH it's carbs per serving. Should be something EVERY low-carb recipe does, but most low-carb recipes don't tell you this until you scroll down to the nutrition section.

StartYourDiet's recipes are simple but don't have many choices. But the ingredients and foods you eat are a good core for building your keto diet. Have two meals worth of each meat in the freezer. If you don't care about your veggies, spinach is low in carbs and keeps for a long time in the fridge. Have at least a dozen eggs. If you don't like plain yogurt, experiment with various keto pancakes before you have another day of yet another scrambled egg variant.

Reddit has several keto-related boards: keto, ketorecipes, atkins, low carb, and diet.

Shelly Replied:

Welcome Elaroo, I am a Newbie too. I Started April 2nd and I am still finding my way around. I have just been going through the list's on the drop down menus. One at a time until you learn your way around. Good Luck.

Jackie Replied:

Lots of veggies! Also, the longer you are on it, the easier it will be.

kc Replied:

Cedric I forgot about diet doctor! Love that one too.

Lyn Replied:

Welcome Shelly! You will love it here!

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Hi Shelly, so glad you found this site! Here's to your wellness journey!

Shelly Replied:

Thank you for the welcome. Feeling good and working on it. This site has been very helpful at motivating me.

Elaroo Replied:

you guys are great very encouraging. I have been on the keto diet now for 9 days I am feeling great. not sure how much weight I have loss as I don't want to get into that game with the scale. I know I have loss inches as my clothes fit a whole lot better.
I am having a breakout with my acne I think it is because of all the oils and fats. my body is not use to them. I am in my 50's and not use to acne lol. any suggestions out there on what to do

Time Out (Alex) Replied:

Welcome and good luck!

Lyn Replied:

A lot of times when we clean up our diets we go through sort of a detox and that happens. Tea tree oil may help if you have any.

Claire Replied:

Hi Elaroo, I am also new to the site and its so motivating. It's Been nearly a month now, and I'm doing good so far Good Luck

Gwen Replied:

Great to see all you newbies, welcome! We need your insights! SYD is a very supportive place to follow your own weight loss plan!

Sharron (Slimrider) Replied:

Welcome!! Elaroo the spotty phase is very normal and after it passes your skin will be great so hang in there, hope all of you stick with the site, its great to have you here xx

Elaroo Replied:

hi

i am wondering about the macros and on other sites i read only eat when you are hungry. I have been doing the later. I usually have a bullet coffee mid morning and then my evening meal. i always try to ensure that my fats are higher than my protein. i limit my carbs to less than 20g per day. is this okay?

Cedric Replied:

Yep! That's what I do. I don't count macros, though that doesn't mean I won't in the future. Right now, I'm week three of Atkins 20, and counting carbs is enough for me. If you're not hungry, don't eat. Just make sure the meals you do eat (namely your dinner) are healthy. Since you're eating One Meal a Day, you can look into this diet for suggestions how to make the best out of that meal!

kc Replied:

Just make sure you are getting enough food. Not tracking can lead to reduced calorie intake and then your body will slow down you metabolism.

Gwen Replied:

Of course it is okay Elaroo. It is not as though you need to do the one thing forever. I was wondering about eating once a day. I have so much to learn!

cheryl Replied:

Hi, Im new here too, just joined this morning and I'm doing the 100 more days book. Im going with the low carbs/sugars diet. Carbs are my drug of choice and I'm VERY addicted to them. I did go off carbs/sugars a over month ago and lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks and felt GREAT but then like most others I started eating unhealthy again. So here I am looking for motivation and support

Gwen Replied:

Hi Cheryl, welcome! I am on low carb too because of my addiction to them! Enjoy SYD.

Aunt Jan Replied:

Hi, today is my first day on program. I am doing OPTIVIA program. Is anyone else on that program. I live in NC.

Lyn Replied:

Welcome Jan! I am not familiar with OPTIVIA but maybe someone else here is. Either way, you will find lots of support here, that is the beauty of this place, we all find our own path and learn from each other along the way.

Gwen Replied:

I am so pleased to have new folk on Syd, welcome Aunt Jan!

Aunt Jan Replied:

Thanks for the welcomes. I started the 100 Days of Weight Loss Book today. I printed the journal today and started Day 1. I will start putting a star on the calendar for the days on program to help keep me motivated. I know I will be successful. I was looking for a star for my icon but could not find one.

Claire Replied:

For 10 years I lived on one meal a day, it start when I was 25 not from choice but life was busy and never had time to eat during the day, then it became a normal part of my life. I would have my one meal between 6-7pm, drinking plenty of water. I never had to worry about my weight. But then a death in the family hit me hard and I start emotional eating and gained 40lbs. Feeling bloated all the time.
I am slowing starting to get back into the habit.
I read a lot about this on the internet positive and negative, but I listen to my body and how it feels.

Friends and family thought I was crazy but It worked for me I was never hungry during the day and felt healthy and full of energy.

Lyn Replied:

Aunt Jan, the stars show up on the icon once you get the...I believe it is called unlimited membership now. I'm not sure because it has been 11 years for me. Anyway, the star shows the unlimited members and also, when your icon has a star it can not be used by anyone else. I hope that makes sense. Good luck on your journey!

Claire, so sorry to hear about your loss. And there are many people who thrive on intermittent fasting, which is essentially what you are doing with one meal a day. As long as it is balanced and you are filling your nutritional needs you will be fine! I do best when I am following an IF window of 8/16 (which just means I fast for 16 hours and have an eating window of 8 hours) and many times that actually ends up with me only eating one meal a day. Some days I eat throughout my whole window and some days I don't, just depends on the day!

Claire Replied:

Thank you Lyn

Is the 8/16 working good for you ??

When I first started eating this way I never knew what fasting was lol, it was just a way that my days worked out being busy and not having time for lunch, I never felt hungry during the day and if I did eat lunch I would feel bloated and have no energy in the afternoon.
I don't miss eating in the day and why have extra calories for nothing.
I have plenty of energy for work outs and if I want to go out for a meal I can have what I want without worry about calories and fat

Lyn Replied:

Yes, I do well with the 8/16 eating window. Most days it is just how I naturally eat, but some days I wake up and am hungry and I honor my body and eat, I don't see any reason to white knuckle it until my deemed eating time if my body feels like it needs nutrition. And on the flip side, sometimes I am not hungry most of the day and I don't see any reason to eat just because it is supposed to be time to eat. But for the most part, between 10 and 6 is what works for me.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.