JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Leftovers (2017)

Rjaatt

Storyline

Photographer Seth Hancock was ASKED to make a documentary on a subject matter that meant nothing to him - Senior Citizens and Hunger. So he traveled across America to discover why senior citizens are the fastest growing group of people going hungry in America, why we treat senior citizens as second-class citizens, why he never cared about this issue and what can be done to make a difference in the lives of senior citizens in America.

More than 5 million senior citizens age 60 and older struggle with hunger. In
the next two decades, the number of seniors is projected to significantly
increase and consequently, so is the number of seniors facing hunger.

USDA Nutrition Assistance Programs
Healthy Meals Resource System (HMRS)
Access training and education materials, technical assistance, and state resources for professionals working with the Child Nutrition Programs.

ederal Nutrition Assistance Programs

USDA. Food and Nutrition Service.
Find out about the programs and services that increase food security and reduce hunger through access to affordable, healthy food and nutrition education.
Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program (SFMNP)

USDA. Food and Nutrition Service.
Learn how low-income seniors can receive coupons that can be exchanged for eligible foods at farmers markets, roadside stands, and community supported agriculture programs.

FNS Program Data

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
Food Distribution Programs
School Meals
Women, Infants and Children

Note: I have helped taking care of homeless children and family's who live in shelters for over 38yrs of my life, I have helped over 3000 children from 2weeks old to 12yrs old and parents 15yrs old to 42yrs old. I have opened up my home for a safe house for battered mothers and children, I have given thousands of dollars so young mothers can get shelter/ food, and Grandmothers raising grand kids who are bipolar, add, autism, water on the brain, ms, diabetic, asthma, so many illness these kids have. Parents trying to go to college and get degrees, or who are working 3 jobs just to raise a sick infant.

I have also spent over 15yrs cleaning house for seniors and that was so heart breaking, these stories I knew about back in 1980's and 2000. Husbands who's wifes passed away with cancer and was lift with a small dog to keep them company, they got $350.00 a month and rent was $225.00 a month in a mobile home park.

I was thinking how I play into this role, the child's room I am provided by my daughter as she calls it, is $550.00 a month that she provides free of charge because I have no money and get no supplement from the government, I am too young for S.S. and if I ever reach that age I only get $147.00 a month.
I am provided $35.00 a week for food. I am provided nothing else! No social interaction, no company, nothing as long as I stay out of their way and in the room they are happy and they have money to spend on my grandchild for [Ballet, Music classes, Basketball, Golf, (Fastfood), Movies.] I am not invited to "Birthdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Valentines, or Easter and I am positive my birthday this year will be in my room with all of you". I am thankful for that. But I can understand now what is happening to me and why my own family has turned on me, I AM OLD! it might not have anything to do with my illness but that my own daughter saw "A OLD WOMEN".

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.