JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

what do we consider exercise for competitions?

Denise

When doing community competitions. What do you all log for exercise? Do we only log actual workout minutes, or do we include activities like mowing lawn and whatnot?

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

No strict rules, just whatever resonates with you and motivates you. Sometimes the competitions have specific guidelines to make it more fun or challenging. There is a lot of information in the exercise database, so generally speaking, you can track and count it however you want.

Lyn Replied:

I, myself, only log intentional exercise but there are many who do other activities as well. Do whatever feels right...you do you!

Denise Replied:

Thanks guys. I just want to be fair in competing. I do feel that yardwork is exerting yourself and can be considered as exercise, but i dont want to track it and have more minutes than i should if others don't.

Time Out (Alex) Replied:

I'm like Lyn, I only add actually workouts. I don't want to ever feel like I'm kidding myself into thinking I exercised when I truly didn't. However, I also think it depends on the person and how much they are able to move. Maybe for someone going up the stairs 10 times a day is exercise because that's all they can do, when for me, that is part of my day. I think it depends on each individuals goals and realities. You'll find the answer.

Angela Replied:

I, also, only log formal work out time. My favorite is walking, sometimes inside to the computer and sometimes outside. I do try and move more than I used to as well. If you aren't used to it start with simple small workouts then add a little at a time. One blogger said they added 5 minutes a week. Seems like a good idea.

Time Out (Alex) Replied:

I like the idea of adding 5 minutes. That is a very realistic goal.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.