JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Anorexic and House Plants? Are your Plants making you Sick?

Rjaatt

I came across this today! out of the blues... after reading it I wonder if this is why my mother was anorexic and sick a lot vomiting? She loved house plants, Then I started to think? I wonder if this is why I was sick and during my marriage after reading this for a second time I wondered if maybe just maybe? This is why I was so ill and maybe why my kids always had breathing problems. Then I learned that a lot of plants can make you have rashes and blisters from the oils or pricklies on the, even the secretion of toxic when in bloom. Then I learned that it can cause Flu type systems so I thought I would just look all this up and Post it here! Because of Anorexic People like Myself!

Poisonous Houseplants for Dogs, Children and People.
1. Sago Palm
Symptoms: Vomiting, jaundice, increased thirst, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, bruising, clotting disorder, liver damage, liver failure, and death.

2. Alocasia
Symptoms: Mucous membrane irritation, intense burning, and irritation of the mouth, lips, and tongue, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing.

3. Aloe
Symptoms: Vomiting, depression, diarrhea, lack of appetite, change in the color of urine.

4. Arrowhead Plant
Symptoms: Vomiting, depression, diarrhea, lack of appetite, chills, change in the color of urine.

5. Calla Lily
Symptoms: Oral pain, diarrhea, drooling, lack of appetite, pawing at the mouth.

6. Strelitzia (Bird of Paradise)
Did you know?
Hydrogen cyanide was used by Iraq in the war against Iran. During the Second World War, a form of hydrogen cyanide (Zyklon was used in the Nazi gas chambers.
Symptoms: Mild nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, difficulty in breathing, less appetite, death.

7. ZZ Plant
Symptoms: Mucous membrane irritation, intense burning, and irritation of the mouth and lips, tongue, excessive drooling.

8. Dieffenbachia
Symptoms: Mucous membrane irritation, intense burning, and irritation of the mouth and lips, tongue, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing.

9. Jade Plant
Symptoms: Nausea, retching.

10. Kafir Lily
Symptoms: Vomiting and diarrhea. Large intake causes convulsions, low blood pressure, tremors, and cardiac arrhythmia.

11. Dracaena fragrans
Symptoms: Vomiting (sometimes with blood), depression, lack of appetite, drooling.

12. Cyclamen
Symptoms: Salivation, vomiting, diarrhea. At high intake cardiac, arrhythmia and convulsions are also possible.

13. Desert Rose (Adenium)
Symptoms: Vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, depression, irregular heartbeat, and death (If ingested in higher amount).

14. Golden Pothos
Symptoms: Mucous membrane irritation, intense burning, and irritation of the mouth, lips, and tongue, excessive drooling, difficulty in swallowing.

15. Kalanchoe
Symptoms: Vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythm (rare).

16. Dracaena
Symptoms: Vomiting (sometimes with blood), depression, lack of appetite, drooling.

17. Eucalyptus
Symptoms: Salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, weakness.

18. Flame Lily (Gloriosa superba)
Symptoms: Salivation, vomiting (bloody), diarrhea (bloody), shock, kidney failure, liver damage, bone marrow suppression, paralysis, death.

19. Ficus Benjamina
Symptoms: Mucous membrane irritation, intense burning, and irritation of the mouth, lips, and tongue, excessive drooling, difficulty in swallowing.

21. Gardenia
Symptoms: Nausea, diarrhea

22. Geranium
Symptoms: Vomiting, anorexia, dermatitis.

23. English Ivy (Hedera helix)
Symptoms: Drooling, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Abdominal pain.

24. Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum)
Symptoms: Mucous membrane irritation, intense burning, and irritation of the mouth, lips, and tongue, difficulty in swallowing.

25. Schefflera
Symptoms: Mucous membrane irritation, intense burning, and irritation of the mouth, lips, and tongue, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing.

26. Oleander
Symptoms: All parts of the plant contains toxic cardiac glycosides as digoxin. Its ingestion can cause colic, diarrhea (possibly bloody), sweating, difficulty with coordination, shortness of breath, difficulty in breathing, muscle tremors, and even the death due to heart failure.

27. Amaryllis (Amaryllis sp.)
Symptoms: Vomiting, depression, drop in blood pressure, abdominal pain, drooling, loss of appetite.

28. Asparagus Fern (Asparagus setaceus)
Symptoms: The consumption of its berries can cause gastrointestinal upset, vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.

29. Ti plant (Cordyline terminalis)

30. Begonia

31. Peyote (Lophophora williamsii)
Symptoms: Psychotropic, intoxication, vomiting, diarrhea.

32. Brunfelsia
Symptoms: Irritation of the mouth and stomach (salivation, vomiting, and diarrhea), muscle cramps, muscle rigidity, paralysis of the nervous system, coma.

33. Cactus
Symptoms: Inflammation of the skin, injury

34. Philodendron
Symptoms: Mucous membrane irritation, intense burning, and irritation of the mouth and lips, tongue, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.