JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

100 Days restart - Day 26: When food disappoints you

Jenn J

Day 26: When food disappoints you

When Sally peeked into the break room one morning at work, she noticed that someone had brought in a three-layer chocolate cake. All morning long, she anticipated having a piece of it at her coffee break. But when she took the first bite, she realized the cake was dry and crumbly.

How disappointing! Sally had really looked forward to this treat, but now it didn't even taste very good. Just in case she was wrong, Sally took another bite, then another.

She kept hoping that the taste would get better, but of course, it didn't! After she finished eating the piece of cake, she felt even more disappointed because she never did get the flavor or the texture she'd wanted.

Match what you want

When you eat something in order to appreciate a flavor, make sure the food matches what you want. Think carefully about how you expect the food will taste. Evaluate all aspects of it, such as whether it's too cold or too hot. Decide if it's overly salty, too dry, or even too moist.

Food isn't always perfect. In fact, sometimes when your body needs fuel, you'll be faced with mediocre food and decide to eat it anyway.

But food will never magically change into your dream taste. If you're eating to appreciate flavors, and a food doesn't taste as good as you'd hoped, stop eating it! Then get rid of the rest so you don't reach for it again to see if it got any better!

Let it go

If you aren't enjoying the taste of a food but you keep eating anyway, you may be slipping into a type of emotional eating. Perhaps you think that wanting your favorite food seems "bad," so you force yourself to eat something you don't like.

Maybe as a child, you always had to finish what you put on your plate, whether you liked it or not. Let go of any old rules that say eat your food, even when it doesn't taste very good. If you don't love it-leave it!

TODAY'S TASKS:

Choose a favorite treat for this exercise. Take a small bite of food, then think about how it tastes. Is it good? Wonderful? Just fair? Is it the correct temperature or is it a little too warm or too cold?

Take another bite, and then decide whether or not this food meets your expectations. Is it truly awesome, or do you feel disappointed with it?

In your notebook, write down your response to the food you're eating. If you decide it's absolutely perfect, feel free to enjoy some more. But if you realize it's not tasting very good, stop! Don't keep hoping it'll get better-because it won't.

Lyn💛 Replied:

I'm guilty of this sometimes.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

This one took years to finally sink in most of the time, but I'm glad it did! Almost everything I consume these days is something that I truly enjoy. There was no other way for me to reach and maintain a healthy goal weight range without a joyous wellness plan that was doable for life; not that I'm joyous about it every second, but there is a foundation of joy that keeps me on track most of the time.

flower Replied:

There is too much delicious good food for your body available with a bit of effort to settle for anything less than perfection . Life is too short .

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Well said, flower!

Jenn J Replied:

I have found that now that I have gone 20+ days with limited sugars, the treats I do have are nice, but I no longer want excess. I find I'm satisified with the small amounts I allow myself. I also discovered that one of my favorite jelly beans (Swedish Fish jelly beans) tasted awful. I brought them to work so others will enjoy them. By doing this, I know that I don't want them anymore, and they are NOT sitting at my house tempting me.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

That's a great transformation, Jenn! I experience that too, when I revisit past favorite indulgences and they taste awful. I do allow myself limited treats, but occasionally I'll eliminate all added sugars for a month, and it is amazing how the taste buds perk up! It is a joy to actually prefer a healthy lifestyle! So happy for you!

flower Replied:

Jenn J ~ Isn`t discovery of things that will propel you into a new place of health and wellness an exciting adventure !! I am soo happy for you as well

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.