JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

100 Days restart - Day 27: Eat dessert when it's special

Jenn J

Day 27: Eat dessert when it's special

You've probably heard the line, "Life is short; eat dessert first." But often dessert is what pushes you over your calorie goals or makes you uncomfortably full. Maybe it's time for you to get more particular about desserts.

You can certainly manage desserts by using your skills such as savoring, eating reasonable serving sizes, and planning smaller amounts, less often. But because desserts can be so tempting you may need a few more tricks to handle them.

To get control over sweets and desserts, consider making a policy that you will eat dessert only when it's special. This label includes not just the food itself, but also the setting and the people you're with.

Is this the one?

Suppose your sister invites you to a birthday party where she serves homemade carrot cake. This occasion is special because you love your family and enjoy being with them. Plus, your sister makes the best carrot cake in the world. So in this case, you label the carrot cake as "special" because it includes the right setting, great people, and excellent food.

Now picture yourself attending an all-day seminar at a large hotel. For dessert, you are offered a huge piece of carrot cake. It looks wonderful, but you hesitate. First, this carrot cake is probably not unique or the best one you'll ever eat. Also, you're in a very ordinary setting, sharing lunch with people you may never see again. This time, you decide to skip the cake because it doesn't fit the category of special.

Determine what's special

Think about your favorite desserts, and then decide which ones are truly special and which ones are ordinary. Would you pick the chocolate suicide layer cake at your neighborhood restaurant? Or would you hold out for your mom's apple pie or the brownies you make when the grandkids visit?

Don't try to justify eating dessert by saying, "But they're all special." No, they're not! Realistically, you know that a lot of desserts aren't all that wonderful.

So pick the ones you truly do love, and then get even more specific by deciding exactly which type you like best. For example, if you love cheesecake, do you want one that's smooth? Heavy? Dense? Is it topped with strawberries? Or do you prefer one flavored with caramel and nuts? When you evaluate desserts or sweets, become selective and eat only the ones that match your ideal flavor.

TODAY'S TASKS:

Make a list of desserts that you want to include on your special list.

Think carefully about the taste and texture each one should have. For each of your dream desserts, write a few words to describe your ideal ones.

Add a list of situations that are special enough to justify eating dessert.

Lyn💛 Replied:

I can honestly say that I don't really want desert too often anymore. It is just too much, too rich, makes me feel icky. If I want something sweet, I'm usually thinking of fruit now. I guess that's a win!

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

I do love sweets, but they have to be worth it. I prefer fruit most of the time, but am an avid amateur chef, and have learned to clean up my baked goods. Now I almost never indulge in anything less than stellar!

flower Replied:

Most desserts do not stand up to the definition of excellent anymore now that my MOM is gone and the special apple pie she made with her fabulous crust !! Now that I have cut sugar out of my life except for a planned truly special treat once a month and 1 ounce of 85% dark chocolate bar 1x daily , my taste buds can really pick up the natural sweetness in foods in their natural state. Life is Good !

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.