JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

100 Days restart - Day 31: Hunger scale

Jenn J

Day 31: Hunger scale

How do you decide when you're hungry? Do you watch the clock and eat at predetermined times or do you tend to wait until you get hunger signals?

When it's time to eat, most people will start to notice physical cues such as a growling stomach, fatigue, or a slight headache. But if you typically nibble all day, grab food on the run, or if you regularly eat because of emotional reasons, you may stop noticing these signals. Eventually, you can even lose touch with your normal intuitive ability to recognize hunger.

The hunger scale

Here's a simple way to fine-tune your hunger awareness. Using the three-point scale below, think about your body's signals for hunger or the need for food. Consider zero on the scale as being neutral-the place where you're not hungry and not full. This might be an hour or two after eating.

Hunger levels

0 Neutral, not hungry, not full

-1 A little hungry

-2 Very hungry

-3 Starved, way too hungry

At the first sign of a little hunger, you reach a minus one on the scale. Perhaps you feel hollow or your stomach growls, making you realize it's lunchtime. If you're quite busy or preoccupied, you might ignore these sensations and quickly forget about them.

Then, an hour or two later, you suddenly realize that you're very hungry. You're now at the minus two level on the scale. If you still don't eat, eventually you'll reach the point where you feel starved. When you're way too hungry and ready to eat everything in sight, you're at a minus three on the scale.

Catch it right away

To manage hunger effectively, you need to recognize it and respond to it when you're at a minus one on the hunger scale. As soon as you feel the first twinge or awareness of hunger, make note that it's time for food. Then plan to eat soon or at least within the next 20 to 30 minutes.

Of course, you can't always drop everything and run for food at the first hunger pang. But don't ignore your hunger signals. If necessary, plan ahead so that when your body speaks and tells you it's time to eat, you've got food readily available.

TODAY'S TASKS:

Start watching for hunger signals such as having a growling stomach, fatigue, headache, or loss of focus. Notice if you feel somewhat weak or shaky, grouchy, listless, or faint.

In your notebook, write down the sensations you felt. Describe how you knew you were hungry.

Whenever you recognize a hunger signal, respond to it and eat something within 20 to 30 minutes.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Lyn💛 Replied:

flower Replied:

I will not nibble or drink continuously between meals and listen to what signals my body sends me rather than eat at specific times and drink coffee with cream in it through out the day to see if this will get me kick started again into weight loss out of this plateau I have been on for several weeks

Jenn J Replied:

This is my challenge at work. I work very odd hours (1pm to 11:30pm) with a hour commute each way. I'm leaving my house at 11:45am (to avoid traffic issues) and try to eat before leaving. My "lunch" is at 5:45pm. That's much to long to go between meals. I usually end up being hungry around 4:30. So, I end up snacking on something and then at lunch I eat a meal. This is where I have problems. By the time my "lunch" comes around I'm not hungry because of my snack, but I don't really want to eat when I next get hungry, around 9pm.

I am working at better recognizing when I feel hunger versus eating to eat.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.