JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

The Scale

Sue Ellen

Ok SYD buddies, I am having a problem with the scales I am buying. I have a WW scale that weighs in with a .2 difference when I check with a 4 pound bag of sugar while holding and weighing myself then without holding it AND then a Taylor scale using the same procedure and that comes up with a .4 gain difference.
I get on the scales holding the sugar and get a number, then get off and back on without it and subtract to see the difference which should be 4 pounds to be accurate.
I would like any info on what type of scales are used by any of you that give a close accurate number as it frustrates me not knowing what I should weigh. thanks for a reply from anyone.

Gwen Replied:

This is an important question about scales. I hope someone on SYD can give some good guidelines!

Thulz💕 Replied:

Here's my non-professional opinion
All scales are calibrated differently and no scale will ever give you the exact number as the next one.
I would also say a 0.2 margin of error is regarded as pretty good so I would go with that one.
It is better to start with one scale and stick with it rather than comparing with different ones coz those could be very frustrating.
With one scale you can be able to track your progress over time.

Lyn💛 Replied:

I agree with Thulz, stick with one scale and try not to worry about it too much. There will be a margin of error with any scale, but it will still give you the overall picture and in the grand scheme of things .2 isn't much. Although I know it FEELS like is. LOL One thing I have noticed on mine though is that if I weigh and then immediately get back on it the number can fluctuate more than if I wait a minute or so and then re-weigh it seems more accurate. Not sure if that makes any sense. But maybe when doing your sugar experiment wait a bit before stepping back on and see if that makes a difference.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

I like what everyone has said so far. Scales are frustrating to me for many reasons but one of them is that in the digital age there are so many choices that it is overwhelming, and even after much research, it is difficult to find the perfect scale. I bought a new scale recently, and many of the digital scales- including the one I bought- "remember" your weight and do not change unless the difference is more than a certain amount. There may be a perfectly accurate one out there, but I choose not to spend an arm and a leg on a scale. I almost bought an analog scale, but did end up buying a digital scale. It does keep track of the big things, and seems to be consistent, but it does not give that little perk of losing .2. Why is this so complicated, is what I would like to know! And I'm with you Sue Ellen; I would love to have something perfectly accurate! But this point I have found scale peace in keeping the big picture in mind. This may not have been helpful, but I'm with ya, sista!

Sue Ellen Replied:

Thanks everyone for your comments. I will take to heart and tomorrow with our new plan of eating, (fruits, vegetables, no meat, only cheese for some protein and eggs) will use the scale that will be better for us. Again thanks and let's bring September in with a good number so we can end 2019 with a good loss for all.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.