JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Pandemic pandemonium, new normal, something else?

Jeanne- CE!

How are things going in your part of the world, and how are you doing?

Time Out (Alex) Replied:

We are still on a lock down until 05/05, however, we going to keep some employees at home. I'm concerned of it getting worst again. If not now, once fall and winter come.

I'm concerned of what the future will bring.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Texas, where I live, is allowing reopening of retail stores, restaurants, movie theatres, and shopping malls at 25% capacity, starting may 1st. Given that this is an election year, I am leery of the motivation behind the decision. Numbers are relatively low given some of the densely populated areas, but not declining, and I do not believe that we have peaked here. It is hard to get accurate reports when info can be taken out of context, along with the fact that there is not proper access to testing materials.

As a teacher, I have a standing guideline that it's ok to disagree, as long as a constructive alternative solution is offered. I ignore idle whining from students, and try not to complain about things, but this is a toughie! It's healthy to express feelings of anger, fear, disappointment, and uncertainty, as our minds and bodies try to cope.

I wish I had a constructive solution to offer, but I do not know if opening up the economy will help, or if it will incite another wave of increased illness. So many folks are dependent on their income from salons, restaurants, and other compromised businesses. For now, I will keep the status quo and stay sheltered in my little turtle shell, and wear a mask and gloves in public places; then see how this phase 1 of reopening pans out.

Be strong and well!

deb Replied:

Things in Ohio are starting to open up ~ s l o w l y. The Governor has allowed outpatient procedures, opened Dentist offices & vets starting Friday. Also, beginning May 4th, manufacturing, distribution centers & construction can open. General offices may open, but he is encouraging "work from home" if possible. As of May 12th, consumer retail can open as long as they adhere to guidelines. Bars, restaurants, gyms, daycare, salons, tattoo parlors are not allowed to open in the near future. We will see about those.

This is all a bit frightening to me. The number of cases & deaths keep increasing. I realize we cannot stay shuttered forever and there are those that are hurting financially, but I hope & pray this doesn't cause an increase in case.

I will continue to stay at home for as long as possible. I do miss my grandkids so much but I just don't know whether it's safe to see them or not. It's difficult to tell a 1, 3, 4 and two 7 year olds to "social distance"

Diane Replied:

We opened up stuff last Friday but very few restaurants were able because they can't get the supplies needed to adhere to the requirements which I really felt like would be an issue. Other things opened this week. Our numbers are increasing slowly but we are also doing a lot more testing here in GA in more rural areas than before. I just heard funding for the schools is not set for the following year and a county not far away is not sure schools will open in the fall..that is a scary thought but something to think about.

Time Out (Alex) Replied:

I will continue to wear a mask until I know there is a vaccine or someone tells me for sure I've had it and will not get it again! One of my kids has bad Asthma and I don't want to bring it home.

Nutmeg Replied:

I've been working from home for the last 6 weeks, but I got word Friday that I'm being put on furlough. I'm sort of sad about it. I really like my job and it pays better than any other job I've ever had. It wouldn't be so bad if I knew when I was going to be called back, but I'm afraid it might not ever happen. Trying to make lemonade out of lemons though and get the yard and my body in shape during this time. I've been doing a lot of stress eating lately, but I'll have plenty of time to exercise now. Hopefully the pounds will start to drop off if I stay focused.

Diane Replied:

Nutmeg, I am so sorry to hear about your furlough. I hope you get called back soon. I am trying to get stuff done as well in between going to work. I am a para at school.

Time Out (Alex) Replied:

Sorry to hear Nutmeg, it's a rough time for a lot of businesses, and I'm sure this was hard on them too.

Lyn💛 Replied:

Nutmeg, I am so sorry to hear this.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

These are tough times with so much uncertainty. That's rough, Nutmeg. So sorry you are going through this!

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Texas has not peaked yet in terms of new diagnosed cases, but is partially open since Friday. Sounds like numbers here are going the wrong direction.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

This whole pandemic thing for me is a big grieving process. I mostly put one foot in front of the other and march on doing what I can, and try to let go of what I can't, but I've been a little more sad about the whole world-wide mess as this goes on and on, causing such hardship for so many families; and even mad when people act only in what appears to be in questionable integrity and motivated by self interest. But that is really not my business! Time for me to get back to doing what I can and letting go of what I can't.

Lyn💛 Replied:

All of this is so crazy, there is so much conflicting information out there it is hard to know what to do or what is going to happen. Things we know for sure...we need to get our bodies healthy and we need to treat each other with respect. Even if it is hard.

Diane Replied:

I love the thoughts of wearing the masks and social distancing. You hear such controversary on the masks but I does catch someone's cough or sneeze but I have found that people are not using the tags on the floor of the grocery store to social distance themselves 6 ft apart. Twice I have had people right up on me and that is irritating. Our county next to us has a hot spot. There are several chicken plants and the virus is running rampant thru them. In fact they are thinking of creating a temp hospital to hold the patients.

Time Out (Alex) Replied:

Diane, I had some woman at the grocery store come so close to me so that she could start putting her stuff on the belt. I wanted to turn around and scream at her "MORON, get away from me!" But, no, I just stood there trying to not freak out, as I'm wearing my mask and she's not.
I wear my mask in public inside areas and I'm finding that a lot of people are not. I don't understand people, do they think over 70,000 deaths so far is not scary. I'm wearing my mask and staying away from people until for whatever reason I feel I don't have to wear a mask any longer.

Anna Replied:

I am in Nova Scotia, Canada and we are still in forced isolation. Canada's nursing homes have been hit really hard. Halifax is still having problems with one. The virus seems to thrive in the seniors' homes. So so sad. We hear the numbers and its almost desensitizing. But if we think about it, its tragic. Its gramma or grampa, who have multi-generations under them at home (or away) and not able to be there or share in grief. The rest of the Maritime's are doing quit well. Restrictions are coming off but its the same here... we are all scared that the numbers will go up and we will have to start all over again. Its hard on families. My father wants to be near me but I am helping my daughter with her son and she and her husband are essential workers so we can't take the risk. I will be some glad when this mess is all over but I think it will take years for us to be ok after all this death and sadness. Nova Scotia has had a terrible month...

Praying for better days ahead!

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.