JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

HELP

Sue Ellen

My husband and I are in need of some HELP.
You see we have been struggling with losing this weight now for quite some time. We have no set plan on a Weight Loss eating program, even though my husband is a diabetic and I'm pre-diabetic. we have been told a low carb diet but I do not know what foods we should eat then. I am really frustrated. It is hard for me to even lose 1/2 a pound a week. Tried WW, Slim Fast, fasting, and even SYD, which I am not giving up on. I just do not know what to prepare for us to eat and how much anymore. Struggling and would some help from anyone who would like to reply. No pressure as I realize others are in the same boat maybe. thanks for listening or I should say reading.

deb Replied:

I have had very good success with the Whole 30 program. If you Google Whole 30 Plan, you can read about it. My pulmonologist suggested I read the book "It Starts With Food" by Melissa Hartwig (or Melissa Urban, not sure which last name she's using now, as she got a divorce). Anyways, I have lost 75 lbs. since last October following the plan. It is basically an "elimination diet" to take certain foods out of your diet to see which foods irritate your system. It is not intended as a weight loss diet, but can be used for that, as I have. It basically eliminates all sugar, breads, rice, pasta, dairy, alcohol, flour, processed foods from your diet. You may ask, "What's left?" You can eat chicken, fish, beef, pork, all fruits and vegetables, olive oil. I do not measure anything, I just eat until I am satisfied. I feel 100% better on this program. Although I have had a few "cheat" meals which included dairy and/pasta, I have managed to stick to the program for 11 months. I think it may become my new way of eating! The carbs you mentioned would be in the pastas, breads, sugars that you would be eliminating. I am not 100% sure how this would affect a diabetic, but it seems to me it would be an acceptable way of eating. You could check with your doctor.

deb Replied:

I have given you a link to the diet and book if you want to check it out.

Denise Replied:

I struggled in almost the same way. I was not able to process carbs the same way any more as I did when I was younger. Apparently, it's a "thing" when you get older. Who knew? I tried the Keto diet. I have a terrible time finding something and sticking with it and I did venture off of it but came right back on it. On Youtube, there is Dr. Boz (short for Bozworth) who goes into the science of it, I like Allie MacWowie who lost 170 lbs but keeps it simple (This makes it manageable without going for all those "extras". My friend sent me dietdoctor but that is okay except they want you to "join". $$$

Also, I downloaded Carb Manager which I find, for me, extremely helpful. It has means of tracking your carbs, fats and proteins, its easy to log your food with the Quick Log and Scan. You can even dictate through your microphone what you ate and it will bring up the foods closest to it. You can set it up to track your intermittent fasting if you like AND there are different "plans" you can select to determine how many carbs, fats, proteins you would like. Logging for me makes a big difference. Although I don't always stick to the allotted calories, I don't eat near as much as I used to when I wasn't logging at all.

Thanks for asking for help. I know what it's like to struggle through all of this as does everyone else here but we can help each other.

deb Replied:

I also forgot to add that you can eat nuts, almond butter, almond milk, coconut on the plan. FYI: when I told my cardiologist I had lost this much weight, he asked me how I did it. I told him WHOLE 30 and I was thinking about adding some things back into my diet. His response was: "Why would you do that?" He seemed to think it was nutritious enough to stay on indefinitely! That made me feel pretty confident with the plan.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Hi Sue Ellen! Another consideration might be to start with a good nutritionist and then both you and your husband go for a thorough evaluation of what truly works for your bodies. Once you know that, you might even be able to get a few meals a week from delivery services that specialize in your preferences. It really helped me, and I was totally able to afford it with the money I saved not buying expensive junk and other non foods. I would be happy to research the area where you live, and give you some leads in this if you are interested. Feel free to buddy chat me any time. <3

Sue Ellen Replied:

Thanks for all the info. It is appreciated. Now to try and get back on track. Plan to check out the whole 30 first. As for a nutritionist, we tried that root and here in our area no dice. I wanted to try like Nutrisystem ? The with Marie Osmond where you buy the foo, eat it and lose. But hubby said would be too much money. I thought you would not have to shop and would be ok. Anyway thanks again and God Bless all of you for replies.

deb Replied:

Sue Ellen ~ the good thing about Whole 30 is you can make it as inexpensive or expensive as you want to. You can go the organic road ~ all organic meat, poultry, fruit & veggies and buy all the "extras" from Thrive Market, etc. OR....you can just buy the fruits, veggies, meats, fish & poultry you can find. Add some nuts and/seeds and some almond butter and you're good to go.

Basically if it's in a box, or already prepared food ~ you don't eat it. It's food without a label....

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.