JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

100 Days, Day 8: Help me, please...

Jenn J

Today's Tasks:

In your journal, write a list of things that people are always welcome to say or do in regard to your weight-loss efforts. Examples might include offer you compliments, protect you from dessert, or clear the table after meals.

Create another list of things you don't ever want people to do such as snatch your plate away, give you lectures, or admonish, "You're not supposed to be eating that."

Read both lists to your support people including your spouse, your children, and your best friend.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

My loved ones love my healthy menus, and when we (used to) go out, everyone just orders what they want. My Peeps are well trained, and know not to make "healthy suggestions" as to my choices, which in reality are almost never what I was planning. I so appreciate the support and the good intentions, though, but I prefer not to have the input.

Jenn J Replied:

My honey is great about not ordering foods that I might want but am limiting. He usually has pizza on Saturday's when I'm at work. Then when we are together on Sunday we have a healthier dinner with few carbs.

Anna Replied:

My family always remind me that I am diabetic if I put my hand towards anything sweet. If they are trying to be kind, they will ask if I took my insulin. It is quite dysfunctional. Ironically, i am in great shape (except for my blood). I only have 40lbs to lose now and I walk daily and swim daily in the summer. Health is all encompassing, not just one area. I tell them that I am managing it over all and do my best to do my best. So let me be. If I need them, I will call or let them know. They have stopped asking my everyday what my sugar numbers are. Now, my father will gently ask me if I am doing ok and I tell him the truth. Its working for us. I am sometimes thankful that I live alone.

Jenn J Replied:

I don't see many people these days for them to ask/offer/criticize my choices. That also means I don't see people to get confirmation I have physical changes as part of my weight loss.

It isn't easy going through this process. There are both positives and negatives around people commenting. If we consider they are doing it because they care and want you to know they care...it has a different meaning than if we think they are being nosey. I find myself always expecting criticisms and thus, comments about my weight loss are taken with that view.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.