JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Shopping struggles...anyone else?

Jenn J

Does anyone else feel compelled to buy more food than you can eat before it goes bad?

I have always struggled with buying too much food that I like, then not eating it before it goes bad.

What have you done to change this pattern?

Lyn💛 Replied:

I do this. It's like I'm a prepper at heart and I always have extra "just in case". Which came in handy during the great toilet paper shortage. LOL But yeah, I do this.

Anna Replied:

I always buy the majority of my canned and non-fresh foods in the summer for the fall/winter/spring when its on sale. All I need to buy during the winter is my fresh food and the odd things that I run out of that I didn't buy enough of. This is the first year that I am actually home to use it in many years. Its complicated but I always say I am staying home (from the Arctic) and I always go back. But this is is different. I am home and eating my food, lol. I prepackage everything to one person sizes. If I have company, I take out two... I am an odd kitten, lol. Some of my fresh does go bad if I don't freeze it in portions but I have learned for me that its better to buy frozen vegetables like peas, corn, green beans and stir fry. I only buy fresh onions and bell peppers. IF I feel I am going to lose something I throw it into a soup or make a big batch of speghetti and then pre-portion that. OMG, I am anal to the 10th degree! lol No wonder I am single.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

This has gotten better with me over time, but I'm a "just in case-er" at heart. One of my work colleagues calls the vegetable bin in his refrigerator "the rotter!"

Thulz💕 Replied:

I live alone and we get hit with a lot of power cuts so I've just gotten into the habit of mentally meal-prepping for the week and anyone who visits me towards the end of week probably thinks poor girl is starving.
When it comes to junk food tho I'm the opposite I "stock up for the month" but it all gets eaten within a few days lol
So literally the only time veggies and stuff rot in my fridge is because I chose to eat junk instead of them

Diane Replied:

I am getting better about this. I am freezing sandwiches for lunch so no more lunch meat waste.. Buying veggies frozen helps too.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.