JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Depression

Sandy

I keep reading on blogs that people are fighting depression or being treated for depresssion... is it a sign of the times (the world is really screwed up), a sign of the season (seasonal depression is real) or are we just a very honest group that knows we can share our struggles here? I am so glad that people feel they can express their mental health concerns here without fear of any judgment. I struggle every year during January and February so I think mine is seasonal... lack of sun and warmth. Are you feeling it? Is it chronic or is this the first time you've felt this way?

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Time Out (Alex) Replied:

I agree with the times have made it harder on all. Kids have issues with this Covid thing and dealing with all the new rules, also adds pressure to the parents. Plus we adults have our own doubts and issues.

I still feel this 100%, the best medicine for depression, is go out and get active. Go for a walk, bike ride, yoga, whatever you prefer. Do it for a few days and you will notice your mood lighten up and a balance that starts happening within yourself. Surround yourself around happy people and do something fun, whether by yourself or a loved ones. Stay away from dream stealers they will just make everything worse!

Jenn J Replied:

I have struggled with depression since a preteen (didn't know it until I got on anti-depressants the first time in 2008 ). There is a family history of clinical depression going back to my grandmother. I am on a new prescription this year that is helping me in better ways than others have in the past.

I am open about this as it is my journey. I feel safe that I won't be judged here, and want to share hoping that it can help others also.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Great points, everyone!

Sandy, when I lived in northern Ohio, I realized as a young adult how affected I was by lack of sunshine, and purposely moved South, which for many reasons, including getting away from in-person emotional abuse (from bio-fam no less), improved my life dramatically.

Alex, I love what you said, and totally agree!

Jenn, I love that you share! As a teacher and one who is connected with many people, I have learned about the experiences of others regarding depression. Each situation is unique, and I have seen many times where the right meds have made all the difference. I am grateful that we do not judge each other on this site.

Jenn J Replied:

I am also grateful for this site. This is the most supportive site I've found for anything.

Time Out (Alex) Replied:

Depression is scary and real, unfortunately. I had it really bad as a teenager after many years of dealing with an abusive alcohol father. When he tried murdering me it put me in a really bad place with no place to live and not knowing what I should do, I was a senior in HS. I never wanted to be him, and I never drank and instead did what I had to do to live. Worked super hard at not ever letting him win, and becoming a better person. I realized at a very young age that you have to surround yourself around happy people who strive to better themselves as well. Turned my back on the haters (some family). Learned that exercise is so important to make yourself feel better. That's always my go to when I feel myself falling into that dark place. When I exercise regular the sun seems to shine more, even when it's raining.
Just wanted to share. We all have different stories, and different beliefs. This is just a peak into mine.

Anna Replied:

So interesting... Depression is all around us in so many forms. Alcoholic parents, drug addicts, emotionally abusive bullies ... and that's just inside our family circles; forget the outside circles. The only thing that got me through and gets me through is to never try to mirror other's destructive answer's to depression. Let me introduce the workaholic! Retiring is scaring the hell out of me. I fear that my coping mechanism to handle my depression is gone. How will I deal with what life deals me? I have no idea. But I am try to try. My motto for 2021.

I will also say that Melody Beattie's book called the Language of Letting Go helped me immensly over the years. The following excerpt changed my life: (Her daily meditiations can be found online for free).

A helpful tool in our recovery, especially in the behavior we call detachment, is learning to identify who owns what. Then we let each person own and possess his or her rightful property.

If another person has an addiction, a problem, a feeling, or a self-defeating behavior, that is their property, not ours. If someone is a martyr, immersed in negativity, controlling, or manipulative, that is their issue, not ours.

If someone has acted and experienced a particular consequence, both the behavior and the consequence belong to that person.

If someone is in denial or cannot think clearly on a particular issue, that confusion belongs to him or her.

If someone has a limited or impaired ability to love or care, that is his or her property, not ours. If someone has no approval or nurturing to give away, that is that person's property.

People's lies, deceptions, tricks, manipulations, abusive behaviors, inappropriate behaviors, cheating behaviors, and tacky behaviors belong to them too. Not us.

People's hopes and dreams are their property. Their guilt belongs to them too. Their happiness or misery is also theirs. So are their beliefs and messages.

If some people don't like themselves, that is their choice. Other people's choices are their property, not ours.

What people choose to say and do is their business.

What is our property? Our property includes our behaviors, problems, feelings, happiness, misery, choices, and messages; our ability to love, care, and nurture; our thoughts, our denial, our hopes and dreams for ourselves. Whether we allow ourselves to be controlled, manipulated, deceived, or mistreated is our business.

In recovery, we learn an appropriate sense of ownership. If something isn't ours, we don't take it. If we take it, we learn to give it back. Let other people have their property, and learn to own and take good care of what's ours.

Today, I will work at developing a clear sense of what belongs to me, and what doesn't. If it's not mine, I won't keep it. I will deal with myself, my issues, and my responsibilities. I will take my hands off what is not mine.

Jenn J Replied:

Wow Anna. I know the author by other work. This is the first I've heard of this book.

What a powerful message for me to see. I am struggling with my mothers behaviors since her first stroke. This spoke to me deeply.

Thanks for sharing.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Wonderful words of Truth and healing! Through similar discoveries and readings, I have come to understand clearly what I do and do not own. I struggle with perfectionism, and the tendency that everything negative is my fault and my action item, based on repeated attitudes of others toward me that what I was doing was never enough; and also not owning up to their issues and actually providing no argument that everything was my fault. I have since over the years, one by one, drawn in a chosen family- starting with myself- that loves and cares for me beyond what I can fathom; and I am blessed and despite some continuing outward struggles- am internally joyful and at peace beyond what I can adequately express.

Anna Replied:

I love our group of supportive friends. It is helping me immensely and I truly feel part of our healing circle. Thank you

Jenn J Replied:

Jeanne and Anna, love your input and wish we could do more than like a response.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.