JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Hubby help

Sue Ellen

I'm here to ask for suggestions on hubby help. He is a diabetic with 5mg of a pill with losing weight as a help for him. I have tried to get him to watch his servings and remember what he ate before eating more, to slow down his eating, and not think of food as to focus on losing. He is doing about .2 loses with sometimes a pound then gains a pound or more but not losing as much as he should for a man over 200. Any advice? I am not perfect but since January 1 lost 4.2 pounds. At least I am trying.

Lyn💛 Replied:

Probably all you can do is lead by example and gently try and nudge him in the right direction. Hopefully he will be motivated by your success.

Time Out (Alex) Replied:

Tell him to go for a walk with you. Tell him you don't want to be outside by yourself. Make up a white lie if you have to. Before you know it you both might enjoy that casual time together bonding and talking. My husband and I do it, and it's really cool, we talk about whatever. Sometimes the kids when they are driving us crazy!
That will help burn some calories and it's so healthy.

Thulz💕 Replied:

May I ask a follow up question first. Does he also want to lose weight or is it just you trying to help him do it because you're concerned for his health?

Jenn J Replied:

I agree with Thulz. If you are the one wanting him to lose the weight, and he hadn't bought into that idea, you won't win. It will frustrate both of you and cause friction.

I also agree with Lyn and Alex. Lead by example, and find ways to help him be more active without making it look like you are doing it.

Also, until he gets a "reality check" from someone other than you, he won't really change his habits or eating. I know a nurse who's son is T1 Diabetic and she was worried about him losing his sight. She found a new doctor for him to help he fully understand the consequences of out of control sugar levels. You may need to find a doctor that will help him see this for himself, without you telling him the info. As much as we love our family, sometimes we are too close to them for them to value our input.

Anna Replied:

Perhaps I can help a little...

I am a Type 2 diabetic. It is not controlled but I try to try. I am doing better now... That is the best explanation of where I am at with my illness. I have an amazing fear of needles but I can put my needles in my belly... no where else. And I try to test at least once everyday.

My motivation has to come from within but the external factors that have worked is my "decision" that it is helpful for my dog to walk. She has epilepsy and I know that walking helps her. So I walk. The fact that it helps me is not lost on me but it is not enough for me to go and do it for myself. Its insane. I care more about my dog's well being than my own. So, if your husband has this kind of mindset... maybe tell him that you need to walk, would he like to join you OR get a dog, lol.

Routine seems to be the key and low key pressure. If my family pressures me, I stop. I feel that my whole life has changed and its the fear that I am going to die that freaks my family out. They are better now because I tell them that their anxiety, even though, its very much appreciated, is their issue and concern. I only have enough where-with-all to deal with my anxiety and concern over my illness to get it all figured out. It gets better though... My father now asks me if we can have a conversation around my diabetes and then we talk. For years he and the rest of my family just went on and on and on. I think the fact that every single thing we do or don't do, eat or don't eat controls our sugar numbers. Its overwhelming that almost everything we like (good food and so-called bad food) affects our sugar numbers and health. If your husband is only on pills, he might be able to reverse it before its too late. If you bring him along for the journey and try to stay beside him while you are doing it, it might help him help himself which is the key... Its so easy to say f...it. Just like us with our weight loss journey. Its such a struggle to stay between the lines. Ten-fold for someone who is diabetic.

I hope some of this helps you in some way. Every situation is different so please only take out of it what make's sense.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Such wise and caring thoughts in these responses. Let's just pause a moment for a group hug

I agree with what everyone else has said. All I can really add is my own experience that whenever someone tries to force me into something (not that you are doing that Sue Ellen- I am talking about how I am receiving someone's message- maybe incorrectly- when someone points something out). A wise old soul whose opinion I sought in a situation where I was concerned about someone and getting nowhere, asked me if the person I was concerned about had awareness of the situation that was causing me concern, and if that person was clear on my opinion of the subject. The answer to both questions was yes, so I knew I had done what I could, and could let go in peace.

I have a history of rebellion and difficulty with self-care in my teen and young adult years. What helped me most was when people accepted me as I was; or first expressed an "I" message, like, "I love you and am concerned and trying to help." Quite often when I am the concerned one too close to the problem, I have to just step back and pray for that right person or situation to bring awareness, if I get the message that what I am doing to help is not working. Once I've done what I can, I can let it go in Faith and Trust.

I will keep you both in my prayers this week.

Sue Ellen Replied:

Thanks for all the comments. First I am not able to take walks with my husband as I am handicap in both feet and thus have little ability for long walks. Second it is NOT my idea for him to lose this weight BUT his doctor who says his A1C needs to get lower., thus the 5mg pill he is on. I want him to lose yes, but in no way am I dictating to him just want him to think before he eats his choices. Right now he is on a 3pm to 11pm night shift which makes it harder. I give him a good meal before leaving and he takes as little as he can to eat at night. It is when he gets to work and his co-workers have goodies around that can be a problem. I thank you all again for all the input though and prayers. It is hard to lose and change habits you are use to. He did lose about 100 pounds a few years ago when we both went away to a seminar in Washington .DC. He was looking good too but some where along the line he got off and keeps going up. I know he can do it again but it is his choice.

Anna Replied:

Good morning Sue Ellen,

Thank you for the update. Food choices are so hard. You know your situation best so a call out for ideas will always come from our glasses on. That's why I added take what makes sense and leave the rest. We all share with love. At the end of the day, we all do what "we" do ourselves. No amount of noise will change our actions unless we decide to change our actions. As I said, he has time to reverse the diabetes. Even working at a nursing home with all kinds of complication from diabetes cases in front of me was not enough for me to take full control of mine.

He will get there in his own time and with a loving wife by his side I am sure he will figure it out. A small idea, maybe he needs a plan of attack to counter act the onslaught of goodies at work. Maybe a goodie bag of healthy snacks and a strong will. lol, those are big words from someone who melts and the mere mention of a banana chocolate chip muffin. lol

Have a great great day Sue Ellen

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.