JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Are we to blame for our addictions or are we victims of powerful food companies?

Anna

In my readings this morning I came across a comment that caught my attention. The lady wrote "I feel that I wasn't born an addict. Society and food companies taught me how to deal with sad feelings and let downs. Stuff sad feelings (and I would add happy feelings) with sweets and chocolates."

Your thoughts.... especially around Valentine's Day and Easter

Lyn💛 Replied:

To me this is simple, it's the food. Nobody binge eats carrots. These companies do research on how to make their foods addictive and it works. They know the damage they are doing and they don't care, but the bottom line is it is up to us to take care of ourselves. We are learning and we are doing better.

Jenn J Replied:

In our American society it's expected to be given sweets to celebrate any occasion. As children, some were given a cookie if they stopped crying after falling down. Food is very much linked to both good and bad times. A book "Fat Sugar Salt" is an interesting read about our American food industry and how that is an entire science behind making new foods more desirable.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Another enlightening but not light reading is Sugar Blues by Dufty. It can scare you straight from sugar addiction!

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.