JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

100 Days: Day 26: When food disappoints you

Jenn J

We are 1/4 of the way through the 100 Days of readings. How are you all feeling about my posting these tasks? I am finding it very helpful as it is keeping me engaged and accountable for the readings. I've never gone beyond day 12 before this year. Thanks for supporting me on this journey of weight loss.

Today's Tasks:

Choose a favorite treat for this exercise. Take a small bite of food, then think about how it tastes. Is it good? Wonderful? Just fair? Is it the correct temperature or is it a little too warm or too cold?

Take another bite, and then decide whether or not this food meets your expectations. Is it truly awesome, or do you feel disappointed with it?

In your notebook, write down your response to the food you're eating. If you decide it's absolutely perfect, feel free to enjoy some more. But if you realize it's not tasting very good, stop! Don't keep hoping it'll get better-because it won't.

Phyllis Replied:

I am very grateful for the opportunity to share with you. I'm more inclined to make sure I read the lessons every day and not give up.
Thank you!

Jenn J Replied:

I really enjoy these lessons. They are really helping me eat for pleasure and fuel instead of emotions.

Today I choose to enjoy all my food this way. If I find it isn't satisfying then I will stop. Life is too short to eat food that doesn't bring pleasure while fueling our bodies.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Because I am so careful with my choices, it really can be disappointing when something is just meh. In my weight loss phase, I used to make up for disappointing food by overdoing something better, even though I did not need more food. Now as a "Maintaineer" I just move on and wait til the next time.

I love the 100 days, and love and appreciate how you are posting these, Jenn! It doesn't have to be 100 consecutive days; never worry when a day gets delayed due to life. The next lesson will always be there waiting.

Jenn J Replied:

Jeanne,

I am really enjoying doing these and seeing others views. This really helps me by adding to my knowledge.

I am trying to really focus on enjoying the food I eat. I don't want to waste (waist) calories on food that I'm not enjoying.

Anna Replied:

I was given the task of delivering some baked goods to a local store for someone. I am being vague on person but I was told to take back the leftovers and get a credit for them. I said, well I will take the carrot cake and divide it into small slivers and add it to my fresser full of portions. I was going to try and eat it wisely and NOT all at once. Anyway I get the beautiful cake home. It was covered in coconut and white icing. Even though it was a bit dated I felt that it would be delicious. I am a baker so I know a good carrot cake. I cut it open and it is gum. I thought OMGoodness. I tasted it and it was as bad as it looked. No flavour and really really bad. I did like the story. I had another bite and another bite and it just did not get better. But the sweetness was in the icing and the coconut. I switched to the topping for a couple more bites and threw the whole thing in the garbage. But it was very very difficult to stop eating it. I don't recall reading this ireading n the 100 days before but thankfully I respected myself enough to say no... no good is no good. Stop eating it. After reading this and remembering this fairly recent situation helps me make a decision that if something isn't good, don't eat it just to eat it unless its a dire situation where food is fuel and my choice is limited.

Jenn J Replied:

Thanks for sharing Anna. I'm sure we can all relate to what you experienced. Too often I have made a dish that initially tastes great, but when I go back for more, be it lunch or dinner, it doesn't taste as good. Sadly, I admit to failure, I didn't throw it out. I kept forcing myself to eat it as I had spent money for it, and cooked it. I didn't want to feel that my time and money were wasted, but I will willing to "waist" the food.

I am working to change this pattern. Now I try to just make single portions. It isn't easy in our world of confidence multi portion packaging to stick to single portions, but I'm doing better than I ever have.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.