JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

100 Days: Day 17: Stop wasting food

Jenn J

Today's Tasks:

Throw some food away. It can be a tiny amount or a large amount. Remember, by wasting it into the garbage, you're not wasting it into yourself.

Throw some food away. It can be a tiny amount or a large amount. Remember, by wasting it into the garbage, you're not wasting it into yourself.

Write down a few ways you can prevent having excess food around in the first place.

Sandy Replied:

I really struggle with this. I can't let it go to waste. I've gotten better but it's still hard for me and with my son's family living in my house, there's lots of left overs.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

I'm with you on this one, Sandy! I had older parents who were children of the Depression, and while the food wasting was not raised as an issue, my family struggled financially and we lived very frugally in all ways.

Jenn J Replied:

My parents wouldn't let me leave the table until I finished my food. I especially hated warm milk (not that I really liked cold milk) and if I sat long enough it was so gross. I struggle with throwing out food I haven't eaten. I end up with a fridge full of science projects because I save left overs. My goal is to toss at least 1 left over this week.

Anna Replied:

I have a hard time with this. The fact that I am as frugal as hell and a professional cook does not allow me to throw much out. If I have a left over I can usually turn it into soup and I portion 99% of my food so I only usually cook what I am going to eat at a time. I try to deal with my own objections before they occur but only cooking one plate for one person. My granddaughter was over with her two kids the other day and I offered the children lunch (I was babysitting while she went for groceries). She never made them finished have off their meal. It is a different world that we live in. What bothered me is that they struggle a little bit financially so food is precious.

Jenn J Replied:

I struggle with this. I always seem to buy more food than I need in a week, but end up throwing out food that has gone bad.

I am working towards buying food that are healthy and EATING them without eating too much.

Jenn J Replied:

I struggle with this. I always seem to buy more food than I need in a week, but end up throwing out food that has gone bad.

I am working towards buying food that are healthy and EATING them without eating too much.

Anna Replied:

I used to do them same in a bigger way but I have learned and am re-taught when I forget that my better intentions do not win 99% of the time if history has anything to do with it.

I know that I will eat mushrooms, peppers, onions, bok choy and pineapple before it goes bad. I also know that I usually end up throwing our mixed greens and lettuce, no matter the brand and as much as I love bean sprouts, they always go bad... and if I buy three or 4 small bananas I am ok.

So even though I tried with the lettuce again and the beansprouts.... I now know!

I buy frozen and canned veggies. No stress, no pressure and my frugal self doesn't beat myself up. I though lettuce out this morning.

As I am writing this... I think lettuce must scream "YOU ARE ON A DIET --- NOW EAT ME BEFORE I GO BAD" ... so the child in me says no. Isn't that terrible?

Jenn J Replied:

My biggest challenge (finally saying it out loud for others) is that I buy for a family. I had 2 growing boys so I always needed to keep food around. Now I just cook for me, but I always seem to buy as if the little boys were still with me.

Yesterday is an example of this. I ended up buying so much salad stuff. Granted If I eat salads once or twice a day, I will likely eat it all. I just can't seem to buy food for just one person at eh grocery store.

Phyllis Replied:

This was a hard one for me and I would usually end up with small amounts of leftovers that eventually got thrown away anyway.
I'm finally learning to deal with the lesson and being able to actually throw out what I don't need.
I try not to make too much in the first place but a few bites of leftovers need to go not be saved.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.