JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Avacados

Sandy

Okay friends... I am teaching myself to eat new foods. Right now it's avacado. (yuk but I'm trying) So how do you know when they are ripe and ready to eat? What are some ways you get them into your diet?

deb Replied:

I know the avocado is ripe when I press on the outside & the flesh "gives"....not mushy, but not rock hard. I hope that makes sense. Once ripe, they can go fast, so try to eat it soon. I keep them on the counter until they're ripe. Then, if I don't use it right away, I put it in the refrigerator. But I think they are best at room temperature.

I sometimes put them on a sandwich. I also like guacamole (chopped avocado, chopped tomatoes, onion, & fresh garlic or garlic powder, salt & pepper & cilantro if you like it. Great with tacos or tortilla chips. I buy grain-free tortilla chips from Thrive Market.

I also like to microwave a potato, chop it up and put spinach, chopped avocados, and poached eggs on top. I know the combo sounds odd, but it's very tasty.

Time Out (Alex) 💋 Replied:

I love avocados. They are also great on salads, sandwiches. Instead of using mayo, spread it on your bread and it's delicious. My favorite way of eating it is just opening it up, cutting into slices and eating it. Some people put some pepper on it with lemon juice. They go great with eggs too. I think avocados go great with everything.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Avocado is a food group for me, not unlike chocolate.

Lyn❤️💛💚💙💜 Replied:

I like to mush it up and spread it on whole wheat toast or a bagel and sprinkle some everything but the bagel seasoning on top. Yummm.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.