JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

New Program Announcement

StartYourDiet.com Development Team

Today we are announcing a new version of StartYourDiet, which is now available. The current program has roots in 2003 technology and was made for desktop only. By launching a new version alongside, we can start incorporating newer technology, without taking away the existing program you currently use.

Here's what you need to know:

- The program you currently use is not going away, minus a few underutilized features

- User competitions will be removed at the end of the month (will be possible on the new program)

- Monthly Challenge will be discontinued at the end of the month (February 2023 will be the last month)

- Ability to share blog outside of SYD will be disabled

- The new program gives you stars for completing challenges. The trophies you've earned here will be converted to stars on the new program

- No other data will be shared between the two program, they are just too different. But again, you can continue to use the old program, it's not going away

- There is a Deluxe ad-free version of the new program. As a current SYD member, you are automatically given Deluxe status, no payment necessary.

- Access the new program using the banner at the top of the Home screen on this program.

The new program will be more streamlined and have less features, but will work on any device and allows for great new additions in the future.

User Photo

StartYourDiet.com Development Team Replied:

We'll be monitoring this thread, please post any questions here.

Lyn❤️💛💚💙💜 Replied:

Oh my, so much to process! I'm just thrilled it's not going away, I've been worried.

When joining the new program, you are automatically emailed a 1-page guide to help you get started.

Joan Replied:

How am I going to decide?! If I try the new version decide I prefer the old "comfortable" version, is there any way to go back?

Thulz ❤️ Replied:

I checked it out just to see what it looks like.

I have a couple of questions:
It doesn't look like the blog functionality is available?
So at the end of the month, User competitions will not be available on either version?
I see there's only tracking challenges currently available on the new one

The ability to blog on here is one of my most cherished features so I think I'll stay
I agree it is quite simplified but there isn't anything on the new one currently or just yet that would make it worthwhile for me to go start afresh. You guys did a great job with The Classic

Lyn❤️💛💚💙💜 Replied:

I'm currently logged into both so I think we can do both. Don't quote me on that though. LOL

There will not be a blog on the new site, most of the focus will be on the core tracking program, but we'll add some fun stuff too.

Competitions on the new site, known as Challenges, will eventually allow for user to user competitions. That feature will grow, but User Competitions on this site will disappear. In recent months, very few user competitions are started and almost never finished.

No need to choose between the two, you can sit back and watch the new program grow and get on when you're ready, or just stay here!

Thulz ❤️ Replied:

Thank you so much for all your responses
So it's probably cheeky of me to ask but would it be possible to keep just the one challenge that is a year long (it's called 2023 - Our Year) for now at least, and then remove the ability to add any new ones?
It really helps with tracking progress throughout the year (and I'm obviously invested LOL)

Unfortunately, the current user competitions rely on a dated, manual process, so even keeping one open is a problem. What is the category, weight loss percentage? We should be able to add it to the new program.

Thulz ❤️ Replied:

Ok makes sense. Category is total lbs lost

I saw the visual challenges... those look like fun. I know we had something similar here but I never got into it at the time

Sleep and Intermittent Fasting Tracking, along with 5 new charts, are now part of the new app.

Peggy 🎈 Replied:

I put these thoughts on my blog this afternoon.

The convenience of the phone +++
Sync to fitbit +++

You know I'm on maintenance. The things I use the most are gone or not available yet.
The Ticker at the top of the page - it lets me know when I am wavering to far afield.
The blogs
Buddy Chat
The hundreds of foods I have entered, many from non-chain restaurants, or home recipes.
Measurements
My personal history - I often go back to my blog to see how far I've gone when I'm discouraged.

BTW, it took me forever to get it onto my phone. I am android, not IPhone.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Ok I'm overwhelmed; it's a lot to take in all at once, so I may have to just sit back and take it all in gradually, lol!!

I'm in Maintenance, and love the Maintenance ticker that allows for a goal range. My main participation is on the message boards, buddy chats, and reading and commenting on blogs.

Are the lifetime members still lifetime members?

Sandy Replied:

I'm thrilled to hear there will be a continuation. Not sure about the new version... I blog almost daily and find it a great way to keep myself committed. I will check the new version out but I'm really not sure at this point. I want to stay with my friends because they motivate and support me.

deb Replied:

I agree! I do not want to lose the blog or message features, so I will continue here if they are not available on the new version on the future. But I did load the new SYD app on my phone and will check it out. Hopefully we can maneuver between the two different formats.

Sandy Replied:

I really like many things about the new program. I think once I get used to it I will like it better. I do wish there was a way for all of us to stay connected though. I will miss hearing about all of you and how you are doing from the blogs.

Lyn❤️💛💚💙💜 Replied:

I agree, the blogs are important.

deb Replied:

Sandy ~ if I understand everything correctly, we will still be able to access this old program to do our blogs & message boards. Is that how you all understand it too? I, for one, do NOT want to give those up. You are all important to me and I feel like a part of my life would be gone if we didn't all keep doing the blogs & messages in this format. How does everyone else feel? Sandy? Lyn? Jeanne? Peggy? Thultz? Diane? Francy?

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Yeah, just to be clear, we are keeping the current site, blogs and message board will stay.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

I appreciate the work of the development team, and the time spent on the updates and enhancements that are needed to move forward. I'll explore the new stuff in baby steps.Thank you for keeping the original site active as well. I do love my people here; it's my little security blanket to be able to stay connected. This site has been a cornerstone in my making it to goal and maintaining wellness in other areas.
And would it be out of the question to ask for a larger assortment of emojis: music notes, eyeroll, and poop in particular; used only in wellness-enhancing ways?

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Ok I dipped my toe into the water of the new program; looks fresh and nice!

Is there anything in the new app for folks in Maintenance? There are a few of us here; and despite this being a "start your diet" site, I find it crucial that members don't just leave after getting to goal weight. The whole reason that I got to and am maintaining goal is that I chose a plan that was not a quick fix and is sustainable for life; and continue to be active here to give and receive support.I love the lifelong learning that I find here.

Lynn Replied:

I hope blogs will stay here - I would really miss the blog feature - I guess we could start a personal daily "thread" in the chat area if we wanted to blog but it would be harder to find 'old' posts. The 'old' data I put in my blogs from last year has been so helpful to me. If you ever do shut the blogs down please consider letting us download a bulk file of our blogs; it was terrible when SparkPeople shut down and we had to manually copy and paste our years of blogs into a Word doc. And MyFitnessPal did the same thing recently, creating more heartbreak for the people who had moved from SP to MFP and had reposted their years of blogs, only to lose them all over again.

Other than that being my biggest concern, I like the look of the new SYD. I'm sure phone users will appreciate it. I'll probably stay here as I only use my laptop or desktop but I might wander over to the new side to track my fasting. Thanks for letting us lifers have the best of both realms
Congratulations!

Eve Replied:

I am happy to hear that the old version will still be working. I am so invested in so many things here. Also my weightloss history. Will miss the ongoing competitions. I do not love change in general but hopefully I will find the new program good as well in time

Francesca Replied:

I am only now learning about the new SYD and I appreciate that we will be able to have a new tool to better track our progress with. But I have to admit that I'm only here for my people. It is my friends and the interaction between us that have been able to motivate me, to inspire me, to convince me to do something that goes in the sense of taking care of myself and dedicating time to my personal journey towards weight loss and well-being.
So I'll just stay where my friends are and where we'll be able to interact like we've done so far.
Blogging and message board are essential to me to stay connected with them.

Thanks for the great feedback everyone. One of the reasons we developed a new program alongside the existing program is so we wouldn't have to change what you already love. Be assured, there are no plans to take the existing program offline.

Diane Replied:

I love my blogs and reading your blogs as well. This site is my family

We have added user competitions back to the menu for historical reference and we will still process any open competitions. The ability to start new competitions has been removed however.

Lyn❤️💛💚💙💜 Replied:

Thank you!

Eve Replied:

I was so happy to see the ongoing competitions were back, Thanks made my morning 🤩

Thulz ❤️ Replied:

OMG!! Thank you!!! This is all I was missing...the ability to track my progress for this year!! Thank you soooo much!

Sue Ellen Replied:

I like using the dot calendar on here. So, I can stay and continue on this site with no problem? I am 75 and don't have a tablet or phone knowledge just this computer program. Will I be ok? Will I also have the Weight Chart I like? Sorry I don't like change too much unless it is simple for me at this stage of my life. Thanks for a reply to me?

Sue Ellen Replied:

Being a member for years and paid to be on SYD.com the original, will I be sure I can use this on going until I choose to check out the NEW SYD? I find no response yet to MY questions. Thanks

Lyn❤️💛💚💙💜 Replied:

Both sites will carry on. The new site is quite a bit different but once you get used to it I think you would really like it. There is still the dot tracking and weight charts. You can check it out and decide which one you like, or use both!

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Hi Sue Ellen, when you first log on, you can click up at the top to explore the new site, and that does not interfere with your original membership. If you decide to check it out, it might be helpful to go to the message board, and on the right of each thread it shows who started it. The ones that are started by the SYD staff/admins explain a lot and answer lots of questions that several of us have asked. It is a little overwhelming at first, at least it was for me. Good luck! See you soon, whatever you decide!

Shari (CE) Replied:

My user name isn't my email address. How do I change my user name so I can log into the new version?

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Hi Shari! Same was true for me. Existing members can automatically just click at the top of the screen for the new app, once you're logged in on this side. The app will not install on my mobile phone because it only takes an email address now, and I chose not to change my log in. Ok by me, since I do not need it on my phone. Nice to see you back!

Shari (CE) Replied:

Thanks, Jeanne
My life got a little crazy with my husband's Parkinson's and I'm up 5lbs and needing to get back to logging, blogging and caring for myself 😁

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.