JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

3 Month Help Advice

Sue Ellen

Ok, my SYD friends, I went to the doctors today and have to go back in 3 months to check my blood sugar for diabetes otherwise I go on medicine. At 76 I do not like to keep taking pills. So, I am asking for any info on what foods, amounts on labels to check out to help get my A1C number down and continue losing to get healthy. Thanks to anyone who replies.

Lyn❤️💛💚💙💜 Replied:

Ok, this probably isn't what you want to hear but it has been scientifically proven that a whole food plant based diet that is low in oils can stop or reverse type 2 diabetes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAiXvrIMIIE&t=752s (in case the link doesn't work)

This is one video by a doctor I trust but just google it or search WFPB diabetes on youtube and you'll see all kinds of results for this. I haven't seen this video in a very long time but I'm sure it still holds up, it just happened to be one of the first ones I found. I know Dr. Neal Barnard has done countless videos on this so it shouldn't be hard to find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMu_gt1vB60

Here is another one talking about foods to eat.

https://www.amazon.com/Neal-Barnards-Program-Reversing-Diabetes/dp/1594868107.

This is a link to his book, but honestly you don't need to buy anything, he has all this information in many places for free. And he isn't the only one, several do. You can also find lots of people who have done it. I only included this because some people prefer books to videos.

It's worth looking at! I hope you find something that works for you!

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

I do not know much about this topic, but as far as searching online, I get good results by typing very specific things in the search bar, for example: how to reduce A1C number naturally, or how to prevent diabetes naturally, or, best diet for diabetes prevention. Then I look at the source of the websites that come up, and start with the ones that look legitimate. Good luck, and keep us posted! You can have a huge turnaround in three months, and I hope you do!

Thulz ❤️ Replied:

This is a subject I happen to be very interested in. You're likely to get different opinions on diet and it will come down to what kinds of food you like and can stick to.

I'll try to keep it simple and uncluttered.
Diabetes is a disease of uncontrolled sugar in the blood which no longer respond to insulin the body produces.
If you're currently pre-diabetic it means it takes very high levels of insulin for longer periods of time to get the sugar down.
This is however still reversible.

This requires food that keeps your blood sugar low so that you're not spiking your insulin all the time.
Removing processed sugar and processed carbohydrates adding non-starchy veggies to your favorite meat dishes is a great start that goes a long way
Don't shy away from eating fattier cuts of meat such as chicken thighs when you've removed the carbs as this will help you feel fuller
Limit fruit and starchy veggies such as potatoes, rice and beans

Thulz ❤️ Replied:

This is what I also need to be doing in these upcoming months because of having insulin resistance

Lyn❤️💛💚💙💜 Replied:

https://nutritionfacts.org/blog/fat-is-the-cause-of-type-2-diabetes/

This article has good information on why fat is an issue with type 2 diabetes.

Sue Ellen Replied:

Thanks for the information. Today I did a huge step.... I took back to our grocery store 4 packs of ice cream cups that were only 100 calories each with 11 grams of sugar BUT for me was a temptation I did not need. Got back $22.00. Now February is beginning with a clean slate. Somewhere I want to find out though how many grams I should be looking at on labels of food for Sugar, Carbs etc.

Lyn❤️💛💚💙💜 Replied:

Good for you, Sue Ellen! You've got this!

Thulz ❤️ Replied:

That's a massive win Sue Ellen!
Keep us posted we are here to support you

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Excellent info, Lyn and Thulz! You two are on this!

Sue Ellen Replied:

Been losing but not sure of food choices. Especially reading the labels for amounts of grams to look out for. Keeping track of what I'm eating and if there is a loss or not. No more Cheetos, Pretzels, Ice Cream cups, and chocolate covered peanuts. All gone now.! Have fruit cups in natural sugar and fresh fruit. On I go!!!!

Lyn❤️💛💚💙💜 Replied:

Probably the most important thing you can do is get rid of all that processed stuff so you're doing well!!! No matter what diet we choose, we all know that the processed stuff is no good for our bodies.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.