JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

Day 91 – Obesity is a condition

Shari (CE)

This lesson is one that I wish I would have learned when I was younger but better late than never. You can not treat your diet as temporary, you know just until you reach your goal weight because ending the diet means ending the healthy eating and exercise plan that got you the results you wanted. That's why you need to focus on living healthy not dieting.

In reality, obesity is a condition just like diabetes. When people become diabetic, they have to learn to get their condition under control, and then they have to live every day of their lives in a way that keeps it managed.
Accept the condition of obesity, don't let it scare you. It is completely possible to maintain your weight successfully for the long run. But in order to do this you have to take care of your condition every day, in spite of vacations, holidays, job changes, and other life challenges.

How does it feel to have the condition of obesity? Do you resent it or think you'll simply ignore it?

In your journal, write a paragraph or two about your condition and your plan for accepting the fact that you have it.

Describe what you will do today to manage your on-going condition.

Have a great day!!!

Shari (CE) Replied:

Today I plan to follow my healthy living plan knowing that it will keep me healthy and on track and I will exercise because it makes me feel better. I am confident, healthy and happy with the new me. I accept my condition of obesity and I know that even though I feel good now my body carries the Fat gene that will take over when ever I let it.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

Hi, my name is Bonnie. I am a compulsive overeater. Admitting this condition was hard for me. Coming here for help was also hard. But I have learned, and continue to learn, valuable lessons to living with this condition. Yes, I resent it! But I can live with it in harmony with thoughtful planning each day, and conscious eating/drinking habits. Thank you, Shari. This one is a hard lesson.

Karen Replied:

Hi, my name is Karen, and I am sugar addicted. When my internal "sugar monster" takes over, I begin to eat not only sugar but excess carbs and other foods as well. It took me over 50 years to realize this, but I am working on controlling my sugar intake, as I realize that if I control sugar it is easier to get healthier weightwise, because so many calories come from sugared items.

I have accepted the fact that this is a life-long commitment, and if I want to stay at the weight where I am, and plan to make it to my goal in 2009, I will have to continue to monitor my progress carefully, just as many have to with diabetes, high blood pressure, or any other health issue. I admit I have times when I resent the HELL out of it, but I am learning to get past that. It is what it is. If I am to be healthier, I will need to be conscious of what I put in my mouth, and to get exercise to help my body remain healthier. I get to choose: feeling better about myself and having a healthier body OR feeling bad about myself and knowing that my body will become a ticking time bomb if I choose to return to an unhealthy lifestyle.

I plan to manage my ongoing condition by careful monitoring of food intake and getting exercise. I will continue to weigh and I do know that I NEVER want to go back to weighing 318 ever again!

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

I think this is so true ecspecially when i tell some people I've done it i've met my goal. THey are like great now you can eat whatever you want, no i have to deal every day and be sure that I don't go back to what I was. Yes I can be a bit more flexible but i still focus on eating heatlhy foods, staying away from sugars (can we say trigger??) and only having those on special occassions, every day I still work on exercising and eating heatlhy to manage what I have accomplished.

Karen Replied:

Leah, my husband has had his off for 2.5 years now. Most days he eats no differently than he did when he was watching it to lose. He just may allow a sweet treat now and then, or bbq ribs for a meal now and then, etc. The key is NOW AND THEN. Not every day. He has an upper limit of what he is willing to weigh. When he gets there, he cuts out the sweet treats and extras until his weight drops back into the range he wants. He has been a wonderful role model for me to see what "maintenance" looks like and IS like. He doesn't want to gain it back. His 45 pound loss meant no more blood pressure meds. He had been on them for six years when he lost the weight! It's a motivator!

Brenda Replied:

For the first time I realize I have a condition called carb addiction. I've lost weight many times before but always gained it back. I always blamed my weight on being pregnant or on the pill or old age creeping up on me. I've worked hard to get back down to a normal weight and this time I know that I'll never be able to resume eating like I did before. And I also know that while I thought I was pretty active, it wasn't enough to help with weight loss and it wasn't enough to keep me healthy. I know better now...I am going into maintenance this time armed with knowledge and prepared to battle.

Contact Card Symbol

Anonymous Replied:

I do resent it, for sure. I've been having a difficult time lately as it's finally sunk in that this journey has no end. It will go on forever. There will never be a time I can sit back and say, I've reached my goal; it's over. I think the comparison to diabetes is right on. It's how we got used to the fact that our daughter has to take meds for ADHD. We had to accept the fact that it's a disease, and she has it...not some days, but all days. Now, I see that I have a disease, too. I'll have to accommodate for it, but I will never be rid of it. Thanks, Shari, for a real eye-opener!

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.