JOIN FREE!
  << Back to the Index
OP Contact Card Symbol

User Competition: June Weight Loss Total (lbs)

Lyn💛

This thread is for discussion about the user competition: June Weight Loss Total (lbs) - which runs from 06/01/2020 through 06/30/2020.

Thulz💕 Replied:

Ok SYDers I'm going to be bold and challenge us to be deliberate in June. We are almost halfway through the year and personally I'd hate to get to October and feel like I'm still driving the struggle bus but I haven't even left the driveway yet! Lol

Lemme know if you guys are in to playing this game/experiment with me

So in addition to a weight goal if you choose to set one, how about we set and declare here ONE process goal. So basically ONE thing that we are going to commit to doing every single day for 30 days without exception or excuses.

It can be... in fact it needs to be...something easily achievable.
Now...Your brain is going to immediately trick you into setting a hard goal...so that when you quit it reinforces the old pattern of quitting and says "See. I told you we can't do this"
You may also think what difference will this make if it's so small. Some of us are already tripping ourselves without even knowing with this thought pattern...We set a 1lb goal for the month as an example. Because deep down we're thinking what difference will this make then we don't even bother to get to work losing the "easy 1lb for the month". We even end up gaining instead.
Be aware of this as you choose your ONE thing.

The benefits of doing this are:
1. Deliberately channeling focus and attention to our goals on a daily basis
2. Getting over the thought trap that small action doesn't yield results
3. Learn to work through the discomfort of not wanting to do something
4. Most importantly building trust and the muscle of follow-thru and consistency so that we can start believing in ourselves enough to tackle the big goals, dreams and desires that we want.

So...Rules of the game
1. Decide on ONE easily achievable thing you will commit to doing for 30 days without exception or excuses
2. Tell us here what it is.
3. On a weekly basis we update this thread on whether we did it or not. If we didn't, No qualifications or "valid reasons" on why we didn't do it, just did we do it or not for the past week

Let the games begin!!

Lyn💛 Replied:

I am 100% in.
And my goal will be to exercise every single day. Now, I am not saying I will work out for 45 minutes every single day, there may be days where it is 5 or 10 minutes and that is is, but my promise is to exercise every single day, no matter how tired I am or how long I worked on the house. Every day. Also...I will not use the 5 or 10 minute thing as a cop out, just a realistic measure put in place for days when that is all I can do.
I love this Thulz!

Thulz💕 Replied:

Yassss Lyn!!! You get it. Thank you so much for joining

Hahaha check your brain already judging you for setting a 5-10 minute goal.
Working out 5-10 minutes even the whole time is not a cop out.
You're not practicing duration. You're practicing keeping your word to yourself for 30 days straight.

My goal will be to use my SYD blog for 30 days straight. Some days I will have content to write. Some days it may literally be an emoji. The point is to show up everyday without using time as an excuse or working long hours. I will update my weight on there everyday without judgement or justifications.

Thulz💕 Replied:

Funny enough this idea came from a personal blog I wrote titled "Workout for 5 minutes"
I'll buddy-chat it to you

Sandy Replied:

I'm in... just thinking about a goal. With my knee surgery coming up (possibly this month) steps or exercise aren't probably a good focus. Now giving up wine would be out of the questions. So... I will get back to you later with a reasonable goal. Thanks for the opportunity.

Lyn💛 Replied:

I'm with you on the wine, Sandy!

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

I love reading what you all have written! Every fiber of my being cringes when I think that what I did was not enough; and this happens often! It has actually helped me to have a sticky on the bathroom mirror that says, "what you did today was enough," although it is not there right now.

Thulz, your ideas are the foundation for lifelong wellness, when followed through. I have a hunch that those responding to this thread are perfectionists, which is a tough one to wrestle with! The only way I got to a healthy weight and have maintained is that I practice being ok with baby steps-- my brain is not wrapped around being ok with it, at. all., but I do the baby steps anyway, and the results feel much better than letting the perfectionist monster win by my choosing to either be paralyzed and do nothing, or being defiant and moving in an unhealthy direction. My weight loss progress happened 1/4-1/2 lb. a MONTH, if that.

All of this is exactly in line with why I started the competition "stretch and move" for June, so that anything counts, as Lyn suggested. If I have a music practice goal and I still haven't done a proper practice, I will at least play something gentle and relaxing for 10-15 minutes, and I always feel better afterward.

It's healthy to do anything, however small, or even just hold the current place, rather than make a choice or take an action that does not support wellness. All areas of wellness matter, not just weight loss!

Baby steps matter! Do them anyway, and I will do the same. !

Char Replied:

log my weight, steps, and dots daily

Thulz💕 Replied:

It was really awesome to come back here today and to find all these responses - thank you so much for being on board

Sandy I LOL'd at the wine hahaha
Seriously though that pause you just did is great... there is a saying, by Victor Frankl I think, that goes some thing like Between stimulus and response, there is a pause. And in that pause, lies your power!
Can't wait to hear what your goal is

Jeanne you will probably not believe me when I tell you that yesterday when I was writing this out I had a thought "Jeanne has walked the walk, and is continuing to walk the walk and we can learn a lot from her about the practice of consistency"
I love that mantra "what you did today was enough"...I think I'll borrow it when I'm spinning my wheels in not enoughness

Love the goal Char!! Awareness and paying attention to your goal daily is everything

Sandy Replied:

So my goal is to record my weight every single day. Some days I don't because it blips up and I don't want to record that. Ugh. Are we recording our goal progress on this thread or somewhere else?

Thulz💕 Replied:

Nice one Sandy!
We will come here every Sunday evening/Monday morning and say if we did it the past week or not.
I did not want to add an additional compulsory step of coming to report here everyday.

If it helps you are welcome to do so daily or use Jeanne's CDOP post or your blog - the point is to make sure it is something that completely and uniquely works for you.

For example, I sync my steps on Fitbit every single day...that's what works for me... but I probably wouldn't come and track them on here as well because that is not a useful additional step for me personally

Diane Replied:

I am joining in. I will weigh every day and log it. I sometimes like to hide behind what it reads but if it is right there I hope it will inspire me to do more.

Time Out (Alex) Replied:

I'm in. Loving it.

My goal will be to at least log one thing a day on here. Just one, whether it's exercise or water, or one cup of coffee. This is so I get used to coming back everyday and eventually log all my food.

One thing, starting small as Thulz said! I can do this!

Thulz💕 Replied:

Yaaayyy Welcome Diane and Alex!!

I looooove all your goals you guys, the energy in here is amazing

Diane Replied:

Ok logged my weight yesterday and today. I did show a loss today so here's to a great start for the month of June.

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Thulz, I like and will also use your idea of logging and tracking in a way that works for me, rather than adding additional steps that are not personally useful. Thank you!

Time Out (Alex) Replied:

I logged yesterday, almost everything I ate, except dinner and I've already logged some today!

Time Out (Alex) Replied:

I've been a really good girl logging my stuff. I'm pretty impressed with myself right now. High five to me!

Lyn💛 Replied:

High five! I'm telling you, it is going to be a great month for all of us!

Diane Replied:

I had a good loss today... Yeah.. That makes me so happy.

Time Out (Alex) Replied:

Logging! Losing! Happy!

Thulz💕 Replied:

OK EVERYBODY - TIME FOR THE CHECK IN FOR THE PAST WEEK.
DID YOU OR DID YOU NOT EXECUTE YOUR GOAL FOR THE 7 DAYS?

I'll start. I did 7/7

Sandy Replied:

I recorded my REAL weight every day last week. 7/7

Diane Replied:

Sandy I did to and it has been a long time since I have done that. 7/7 and had a loss overall.

Time Out (Alex) Replied:

I did all week and then yesterday I totally forgot to come on here. So no, I did not make my goal.
It wasn't even because I didn't want to, I just totally forgot. I try to not go on electronic devices on the weekends because during the week, that's all I do, and I blew my goal.

On to this week!

Lyn💛 Replied:

I made it 6 out of 7 days.

Thulz💕 Replied:

Well done everybody

@Alex - I love you and nope - you are not allowed to give reasons why you didn't meet your goal

Let's see how week 2 goes! Watch out - this is when the novelty wears off and "life happens"

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

I don't know that I actually stated one thing, but my focus was to kick the perfectionist monster to the curb by taking baby steps and facing forward no matter what happens; so in that spirit, yes, I did this for 7 days!

Lyn💛 Replied:

So far so good with week 2 for me. It hasn't been huge workouts but I have been conscious and doing SOMETHING, even though I am on vacation. And it feels good and I can tell it is strengthening my consistency weakness.

Thulz💕 Replied:

Lyn how great does it feel knowing you can still show up for yourself and execute even when you're on vacation

Lyn💛 Replied:

It has actually felt great! I missed yesterday but made all the others.

Melinda Replied:

Hi All, I'm crashing your party! I'm starting my second week of low carb. My goal for this month is to stick to my low carb diet, every day (its the only thing that works for me)

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Hi Melinda, so glad you're here, and everyone is welcome! One thing I love about SYD is that we all do what works for us!

Lyn💛 Replied:

Welcome Melinda! It is impossible to crash a party you are invited to! Glad to have you with us!

Melinda Replied:

Thanks guys, you're awesome!! Two more weeks left in June, let's crush it!!

Diane Replied:

Welcome Melinda.... I didn't get on this site or weigh while I was camping but am back at it with no excuses.

Thulz💕 Replied:

Yaaay Welcome Melinda

Thulz💕 Replied:

IT'S CHECK IN TIME FOR THE PAST WEEK EVERYONE.
DID YOU OR DID YOU NOT EXECUTE YOUR GOAL FOR THE 7 DAYS?

7/7 for me

Jeanne- CE! Replied:

Lyn💛 Replied:

6 out of 7

Melinda Replied:

Thank for the kind welcome everyone! I need to pick a daily goal going forward and will report in next week. It will be getting all water in, because this low carb diet is making me very thirsty!

Sandy Replied:

7/7 but this week I won't. I think my knee surgery will have to be an excuse you can accept.

Diane Replied:

I only did 4 days out of 7. I will do better.

Lyn💛 Replied:

7 out of 7

Thulz💕 Replied:

6 out of 7 for me

Thulz💕 Replied:

6 out of 7 this week as well.

Thank you very much everyone for coming along for this ride, it was really fun doing this with you and motivating knowing we all had a common goal

What I learnt from this exercise was that it forced me to look even when things were not pretty and it allowed me to work through some of my layers.
Best of all though, was showing up even when I didn't feel like it and building a pattern of follow thru...this is where my success lies.

Going forward - I am not planning on continuing to blog everyday but I'm happy to set a standard of every other day. Never SkipTwice.

Lyn💛 Replied:

This certainly made me more aware of my self talk and how often I try to talk myself out of following through with my commitments to myself.

The opinions expressed on this forum may not represent the opinions of StartYourDiet.com. Please consult your physician to determine the weight, nutrition and exercise levels that are best for you.